Storing carboys in shed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
Year round? OK, or possibly crack/weaken due to temperature change?

They'll be fine, I keep mine out there and we have 100F in the summer and 30F in the winter

I have 5 glass carboys in my attic when not in use...no problems. They really don't get warmer than a hot water wash, (n spite of the perception to our own skin), nor colder than a refrigerator.

glass will crack when there is a sudden change in temperature or pressure, as in a big drop or increase. yours should be fine in a shed. it will heat up and cool off with the ambient air temperature. Cover the opening with something to prevent critters getting in.

I also keep my in the attic in the garage. I just make sure to bring them inside a day or so before I brew to let them warm up slowly.

Find some old milk crates.. set the carboy in the crate then turn another crate upside down over the top of it.. stack the next one right on top.. Stuff the neck with paper towels. As was said before , for some reason mice like to get in em.

Find some old milk crates.. set the carboy in the crate then turn another crate upside down over the top of it.. stack the next one right on top.. Stuff the neck with paper towels. As was said before , for some reason mice like to get in em.

i actually made friends with my poland spring delivery guy and got him to comp me a water bottle tower....the kind that holds six 5gal plastic water bottles. it keeps my carboys off the floor! technically you are not supposed to get one of these unless you get 6 bottles delivered each month but oh, what a couple of bottles of home brew hard cider will do for a man's attitude.

a shed will be fine because outside temp fluctuations will not be severe enough to cause damage.

to keep the mice out...just get some #10 stoppers that are whole (ie not drilled for the airlock) and plug them up. then the mice can go next door to eat, sh*t, and die.

Back