One of these for 13 Gallon Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJWP

Reaction score
any reason one of these would not work for a 10 gallon batch as a fermenter?

http://www.containerandpackaging.com/item.asp?item=P113

I very much would like to get away from splitting 10G batches into two ale pails. and i shattered my only 6.5G carboy recently so I have sworn off glass.

seems to me I'd just have to drill an airlock hole and off I go.

Any drawbacks due to the shape?

Says it is HDPE so it is the same as using an ail pale right? as a bonus it would fit snugly in my keg fridge.

Thanks,

Well large enough for 10 gallons... I've fermented in squares before - I have a reuesed plastic chees-puff container. Obviously each shape has it's "how the heck to I get the most liquid out of here" question, but you can figure that out.

I say give it a try and let us all know.

Oh and when you drill the hole, DON'T drill dead center - or where ever you see the 'center point' that it all was extruded out from. I cracked my first top that way. Off center is better

thanks for the advice on drilling -

looks like the shipping is as much as the item.. i wonder if they hdpe bucket or cube type containers at the container store... im gonna need to go look around before I decide to have this shipped

I would be worried about how well the lid seals, as it doesn't look like it has an actual seal. The description says "This pail is ideal for dry food storage...", so there may be a chance that the inside isn't smooth, and may harbor bacterial. But for the price, I don't think it would hurt to try.

Any update? Did you get it? Does the lid seal? Is the inside smooth?

I am considering switching all my fermentation to these...

Latest posts

Back