Michigan brewpub/brewery/winery tour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be spending about 5-6 days in mid September driving around lower Michigan. I was thinking about starting in Traverse City, and going along the Lake Michigan coast for scenery, brewpubs, wineries, etc. I think when I get to the southern part of the state, Founders, Bells, and maybe Dark Horse will be on the agenda. Otherwise, I don't know what else is offered for brewpubs.

Do any of you have good ideas on can't miss things to do in western/southern MI?

I put that on my list! I don't know what we'll do for sure, but I'd love to meet up if we're down there. It's a long drive, of course, and we're only talking about a week total. That's a nice website- I saved the "Lake Michigan Shore Wine Trail" site. I know we'll go to Saugatauk but I don't know how much farther SW we'll go.

Yeah, admittedly there isn't much to see south of Holland in terms of beer, but there are quite a few wineries down here in the far SW corner. It's pretty sad, but I live only a few miles away from many of the wineries down here and I've only had Tabor Hill and St. Julian. Both are excellent, but my wife and I really need to just get a babysitter and make room for a weekend of tasting.

But in the end, I'd say as long as you get to Founders in GR, you've done made it worth your time to come down this far. They are amazing. :mug:

Anyway, yeah keep me updated if you swing down to Round Barn or another place and I'm sure I can swing by!

Big +1 for Founders.

We're headed up to Torch Lake for Labor Day weekend. I'm going to try to get the group I'm traveling with to hit Shorts while we're up that way.

My wife and I stopped in at the Saugatuck Brewing Co. last year after visiting Saugatuck. I only had one brew while I was there since it was the start of my drive back to the other side of the state. But we had a very tasty lunch and the beer was good. Worth stopping by if you're in the neighborhood.

Oh, I just noticed your post said wineries too. :) Obviously there are a ton in the Leelanau / Traverse City / Mission Peninsula area. Have you been to any there before?

I know you like to make cheese, so if you haven't been there's a winery called Black Star Farms in that area. They make awesome fresh raclette cheese, wine, and an apple brandy that's pretty yummy. Also, if you've not been to Cherry Republic it's a fun stop for all yummy things cherry.

Oh, I just noticed your post said wineries too. :) Obviously there are a ton in the Leelanau / Traverse City / Mission Peninsula area. Have you been to any there before?

I know you like to make cheese, so if you haven't been there's a winery called Black Star Farms in that area. They make awesome fresh raclette cheese, wine, and an apple brandy that's pretty yummy. Also, if you've not been to Cherry Republic it's a fun stop for all yummy things cherry.

Oh, that sounds great! Bob is more of a "wino" than I am, but wineries sounds great! I've never been to a winery at all, so I'm excited about visiting one or two. We'll be traveling on week days so I'm not sure what each place offers during the week. I'll be calling ahead to check, and make preliminary motel reservations.

Thanks for the ideas! If anybody thinks of any more, I'm all ears!

There are many wineries in that area. But if you do decide to head up on to the Mission Peninsula to Black Star Farms, don't overlook Chateau Grand Traverse Winery. They give a nice tour--I think it's free--of the winery and grape farm. Their Late Harvest Riesling is fantastic too, if you like sweeter white wines. And it's only about 5 miles up the road from Black Star.

Raftshol vineyards in leelanau county has free wine tastings, as far as I know most of the other wineries in the area charge for tasting. They make some great stuff too, and they have mead (well, pyment,anyway. Its pretty good). It's some of the best wine I've had from that area, although my opinion may be a bit skewed as a good friend of mine works there:D. And to tell you the truth I'm more of a beer guy than a wine guy anyway.

If you head up M-22 north of traverse into leelanau county there are a bunch of wineries. Chateau de Leelanau and Cicone (not sure if I'm spelling that right) also stuck out to me as having really good wine. Cicone, Chateau de Leelanau, and Raftshol are all within about 10 miles of each other, so it may be worth the drive. That area is absolutely beautiful.

As far as breweries go, I've really been digging Jolly Pumpkin lately. If you like sour beers, you'll enjoy their stuff. It seems like it might be hard to get JP up in your neck of the woods. Dark Horse also rocks, and don't miss out on Short's. If you happen to venture near East Lansing, Harper's brewpub makes some pretty good beer as well, but honestly it's not something I would want to go too far out of my way to get. Harper's is good, but...not mindblowingly so.

Oh yeah, and Wednesday night (at least I think it's wednesday, maybe it's thursday) in traverse is pint night, all the bars have crappy beer for a dollar a pint, and craft beer for $2 a pint! Last time I was up there I got slammed on 2 hearted for less than 10 bucks (including tips)! All the bars that I've been in traverse have a great selection of craft brew.

I am envious!

My wife came back from Florida visiting her family and having her 25th HS anniversary. She applied for sainthood by bringing me back some Two Hearted ale in her checked baggage. She knows I <3 it from our trip to DC where I spent a few hours drinking it at RFD.

I envy you Yoop! Drink some for me.

BTW: I have had Oberon, but what other Bells beers are worthy of checked baggage from Tampa to Boise? Take pic's and post them so we can live vicariously through you!

I am envious!

My wife came back from Florida visiting her family and having her 25th HS anniversary. She applied for sainthood by bringing me back some Two Hearted ale in her checked baggage. She knows I <3 it from our trip to DC where I spent a few hours drinking it at RFD.

I envy you Yoop! Drink some for me.

BTW: I have had Oberon, but what other Bells beers are worthy of checked baggage from Tampa to Boise? Take pic's and post them so we can live vicariously through you!

The best Bell's beers are: all of them! No lie. Their stout, amber, wheat, IPA, old ale, etc, are all wonderful. I have never had a Bell's beer that I think is "ok". They'll all great. Same with Great Lakes, by the way. Great Lakes Brewery, in Cleveland, makes awesome standard everyday beers.

Send me your address and I'll see what I can do.

I have never been to Bells. Seriously. I have stopped at the homebrew shop a couple of times, but have never been in the brewery/pub. And the in-laws only live 20 minutes from there!

If you go through TC, I recommend Shorts. Right Brain fired their original brewer, otherwise I'd highly recommend it for the unusual. They may still brew great beer, but I haven't got to taste any since John left.

I've been wanting to go to Jolly pumpkin myself, I really need to find out where it is and put it on my fall travel plans!

New Holland gives tours for $5. You get a glass, some beer to drink during the tour, and then some tasting at the end. It's a pretty good deal I think. They make some great beer too.

Arcadia is in Battle Creek. It's pretty good, but I don't think I'd go out of my way to get there.

And I was going to refute your claim that all of Bell's beer is very good, but now that I stop and think about it, I am not sure I can remember one that I disliked. Even Founders makes a vomit-inducing cherry beer called Cerise! But they make up for it with a very solid line of other beers!

And I was going to refute your claim that all of Bell's beer is very good, but now that I stop and think about it, I am not sure I can remember one that I disliked.

Have you ever had Bell's straight up ol' pale ale? I don't know if I'm just unlucky and the two times I bought it I got a bad batch, but it was so grainy and/or astringent I couldn't even drink it. I find it hard to believe they can't brew a pale ale when every one of their other beers is just great, so I'm thinking I am just unlucky. :(

I miss Solsun! Bells please bring back Solsun! Back when I was going to Wastern Michigan U the Bell's guys would have a party and they would bring a pony keg of each of their brews plus have live bands. I wish I could remember those days :drunk:

My flavorite was the special double cream stout for cold winter nights, and Solsun for hot summer days.

I know Oberon was what replaced Solsun, but I liked Solsun. Sol is the best sun anywhere!!!

Have you ever had Bell's straight up ol' pale ale? I don't know if I'm just unlucky and the two times I bought it I got a bad batch, but it was so grainy and/or astringent I couldn't even drink it. I find it hard to believe they can't brew a pale ale when every one of their other beers is just great, so I'm thinking I am just unlucky. :(

I'm sure I must have at one point. Maybe not. 2H is so good that I usually end up getting that. I mean to buy some pale though, because I want to harvest the yeast, and 2H would likely be a bit more stressed. (Or I can buy 2H and just gather more yeast)

In the TC Area, I recommend Right Brain (they just had an IPA on tap that was AWESOME. it's gone now though.. They replaced it with a citral wheat that's supposed to be very good)..
Shorts and Jolly are up that way as well, both are a must.

West side, obviously Founders, but make sure you check out HopCat.

If you're going down by Ann Arbor, check out Grizzly Peak, Arbor Brewing and then there is a Jolly Pumpkin there too. Somewhat close by is Liberty Street Brewing as well.

If you're coming down this way, Royal Oak Brewery, Detroit Brewing Company and Bastone are all worth checking out.

The last weekend in August is the Traverse City Beer Festival. Can't wait!

I have not actually been here yet, but my brother has taken multiple microbrew trips around Michigan and the rest of the US. He always mentions Right Brain Brewery as a place to find some very interesting and different types of beer.

http://www.rightbrainbrewery.com/

Favorite by far is Founders, simply everything is good, and the stouts are amazing. Since you will be there, right up the road is Hideout, another very good stop since you will be in the area. Coming from the North you will actually get to Hideout before Founders.

http://hideoutbrewing.com/

Just as an aside, I went to school in East Lansing, and please, don't go out of your way for Harpers :)

Have Fun!

If you go through TC, I recommend Shorts. Right Brain fired their original brewer, otherwise I'd highly recommend it for the unusual. They may still brew great beer, but I haven't got to taste any since John left.

Arcadia is in Battle Creek. It's pretty good, but I don't think I'd go out of my way to get there.

I most definitely concur on SHORT'S, it is very highly regarded brewery. I have not been there, but have tried the beers at couple of fests. IIRC, xiang stopped in before the UP YOURS event. Right Brain is known for fresh hopping with products grown on the Mission Peninsula. An eclectic variety of beers.

I must differ in my estimation of Arcadia Ales in Battle Creek. It is a destination VERY MUCH worth visiting, and I would assign it a Must-See, as they do open vat fermenting, and use an actual English brewhouse as well. NO ONE ELSE, that I am aware of, uses an open top fermenting process, at least in this region. The IPA's are some of the best I have had in this state, and the level of dryhopping by Josh Davies, the Head Brewer, will blow you away. Schedule a tour with him, tell him who you are and that Leo sent you!

It was Josh's level of dryhopping at Michigan Brewery (which is no longer the case) that convinced me I had to start homebrewing, as most IPA's do not come with this level of aroma. He was insistent that I start home brewing, and spared no time in showing me the process, the taste of the individual ingredients and how to assess them, the equipment needed at home, and the mentality of 'it's all about the beer'-WHICH IS WHY HE IS NOW AT ARCADIA. His level of devotion is to be truly admired.

I have been waiting to hear of an Estimated Time of Local Arrival to schedule a Michigan Predators' Brew Day, as the distance you must travel to attend make coincidence of your trip down here a must, with regard to the date of the Brewday. You are welcome to stay here again if you and Bob would like, and I know that Z would love you to.

That is, if you and the other Michigan Homebrewers are interested...

I most definitely concur on SHORT'S, it is very highly regarded brewery. I have not been there, but have tried the beers at couple of fests. IIRC, xiang stopped in before the UP YOURS event. Right Brain is known for fresh hopping with products grown on the Mission Peninsula. An eclectic variety of beers.

I must differ in my estimation of Arcadia Ales in Battle Creek. It is a destination VERY MUCH worth visiting, and I would assign it a Must-See, as they do open vat fermenting, and use an actual English brewhouse as well. NO ONE ELSE, that I am aware of, uses an open top fermenting process, at least in this region. The IPA's are some of the best I have had in this state, and the level of dryhopping by Josh Davies, the Head Brewer, will blow you away. Schedule a tour with him, tell him who you are and that Leo sent you!

It was Josh's level of dryhopping at Michigan Brewery (which is no longer the case) that convinced me I had to start homebrewing, as most IPA's do not come with this level of aroma. He was insistent that I start home brewing, and spared no time in showing me the process, the taste of the individual ingredients and how to assess them, the equipment needed at home, and the mentality of 'it's all about the beer'-WHICH IS WHY HE IS NOW AT ARCADIA. His level of devotion is to be truly admired.

I have been waiting to hear of an Estimated Time of Local Arrival to schedule a Michigan Predators' Brew Day, as the distance you must travel to attend make coincidence of your trip down here a must, with regard to the date of the Brewday. You are welcome to stay here again if you and Bob would like, and I know that Z would love you to.

That is, if you and the other Michigan Homebrewers are interested...

My opinion of Arcadia may be different if they were giving tours when I went there. The beer is real good. The bar area is just ok. The food looks great, but alas, we didn't eat there. And they changed the logo on their stemware just before I got around to buying one, so I missed out on getting a tulip with the sword on it :(

And North Peak in TC uses open fermenters. But to me their beer is so-so. I've tried a few of their bottled beers and have not been very impressed. (But I love their stubby bottles!)

Shorts, Right Brain, Beer Cellar, Odd Side Ales, Founders, Bell, New Holland............On the east coast.... Tri Cities, Kuhnenns, Dragonmead,

We're going to Shorts, Right Brain, then a winery (or three) in Traverse City. We'll be going to Saugatauk, and possibly New Holland (depending on how long we stay in Saugatauk area). We'll be going to Founders, HopCat and Hideout.

We'll try to hit Bell's on Friday, then over to Henry Hill's Saturday morning for a brewday. That's our plan for Monday-Saturday so far!

You won't be disappointed with Shorts/Right Brain. Try to plan your trip so you can eat at Shorts or Jolly Pumpkin/North peak. JP's place is on Old Mission Peninsula just down the road from Chateu Grand Traverse. Great Food for a great price at both. Also on the way through to Saugatuck will be Odd Side Ales in Grand Haven. Beer is ok and its close to the board walk so you can check that out.

The weekend of the 18th is the Michigan Irish Festival in Muskegon. If you guys want real Irish food and music its worth a stop. If you want to go, let me know and I will get you in for free ;)

I ate at Jolly Pumpkin last night. All six people in our group thought the food was fantastic.

Oh and Yooper, I made a mistake in my earlier post. The Black Star Farms creamery is at the Leelanau location. The mission peninsula location is just a tasting room.

You won't be disappointed with Shorts/Right Brain. Try to plan your trip so you can eat at Shorts or Jolly Pumpkin/North peak. JP's place is on Old Mission Peninsula just down the road from Chateu Grand Traverse. Great Food for a great price at both. Also on the way through to Saugatuck will be Odd Side Ales in Grand Haven. Beer is ok and its close to the board walk so you can check that out.

The weekend of the 18th is the Michigan Irish Festival in Muskegon. If you guys want real Irish food and music its worth a stop. If you want to go, let me know and I will get you in for free ;)

We're going to be at Henry Hill's on Saturday, and I think Kalamazoo on Friday but I"m not sure about the Friday schedule. Is the Festival going on Friday, if we decide not to go to Kalamazoo on Friday?

Yeah it starts Friday at 5pm and goes through Sunday.

Oh, that does sound like fun! Bob said that I have to choose between the Irish Festival, or a stop in Kalamazoo at Bell's then.

Could you PM me your phone number, so we can call you during the trip and see where we are? We plan, at least at this point, at being in Grand Rapids on Thursday night, so that would put us close!

(The free admittance is swaying Bob towards going to the festival. He's always looking for a bargain!)

If you get on the East side, a great stop is the Redwood Lodge, Top small brew pub last year or year before, good food too. Also The Black Forest in Frankenmuth has a nice selection and good food. If you do hit this area, Holler, and I'll but the first round. Phodog.

Oh, that does sound like fun! Bob said that I have to choose between the Irish Festival, or a stop in Kalamazoo at Bell's then.

Could you PM me your phone number, so we can call you during the trip and see where we are? We plan, at least at this point, at being in Grand Rapids on Thursday night, so that would put us close!

(The free admittance is swaying Bob towards going to the festival. He's always looking for a bargain!)

FWIW - I've been to Kzoo MANY times the past many years and have never been in Bells. I am still alive and doing fine. I'm sure you could skip that one and live through it. The festival sounds SOOO much fun!

FWIW - I've been to Kzoo MANY times the past many years and have never been in Bells. I am still alive and doing fine. I'm sure you could skip that one and live through it. The festival sounds SOOO much fun!

Well, that's what we're doing! Friday night at the Irish Festival with boostsr20, since he promised us good beer! :D

Then, over to Henry Hills on Saturday, and home on Sunday.

We've got Short's as a for-sure on Monday night, Right Brain on Tuesday along with some wineries in the TC area. Then, down to Saugatauk/Holland for brewpubs and wineries on Wednesday. Thursday is Grand Rapids, and then over to Muskegon on Friday. It sounds like a beer-filled extravanza!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

I didn't promise any of my beer would be good. LOL
I will chill some stuff I've been collecting though. I have a bomber of Three Floyds Dreadnaught to open.

Yup. Whats your Dads name? I work for the local Budweiser Distributor running the special events so I will be there all weekend.

YOU'RE HEADING BACK HOME PAST lUDINGTON THE jAMESPORT BREWERY IS NICE WITH GOOD FOOD TOO.

YOU'RE HEADING BACK HOME PAST lUDINGTON THE jAMESPORT BREWERY IS NICE WITH GOOD FOOD TOO.

I concur! Say hey to Tom Buchanan the brewmaster while you are there. He's a very nice guy and will give a tour of the brewery downstairs. They are on James Street just like 2 blocks south of US 10 just before you run into the lake.

Back