Pilsner Lagering question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwinzing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have recently switched to all grain and decided to make my first lager. It is a german pils. I pitched the yeast (white labs pilsner) they recomend pitching at 70-75 and then fermenting at 50-55. I pitched at 70 then placed in frig and took right to 52. It was made on Saturday and nothing has started. Should I have waited to place in frig until fermentation has begun?

Keg 1- Wit (AG)
Keg 2- empty
Keg 3- empty

Primary 1-IPA (AG)
Primary 2-Pilsner (AG)
Primary 3-Pumpkin Ale (AG)

I have recently switched to all grain and decided to make my first lager. It is a german pils. I pitched the yeast (white labs pilsner) they recomend pitching at 70-75 and then fermenting at 50-55. I pitched at 70 then placed in frig and took right to 52. It was made on Saturday and nothing has started. Should I have waited to place in frig until fermentation has begun?

Keg 1- Wit (AG)
Keg 2- empty
Keg 3- empty

Primary 1-IPA (AG)
Primary 2-Pilsner (AG)
Primary 3-Pumpkin Ale (AG)

In my opinion, no. But, I don't agree with those package instructions.

First, take a look at mrmalty.com, and check out the "pitching calculator". Usually for lagers, you make a huge starter to increase the cell count before pitching. That's what I do- make an enormous starter, and then pitch at fermentation temperatures (usually 50 degrees). The reason is simple- I don't pitch my ales at 90 degrees and wait for them to start before lowering them to 70 degrees. Likewise, I don't pitch my lagers 20 degrees too warm either.

If you didnt' make a starter, you're in for a long lag time. Just wait it out. Yo-yoing the temps isn't good for the beer, but if you pitched less than optimal amounts of yeast, it'll take a good long time for them to get going. I think the instructions on the yeast packages are terrible- if you wait until signs of fermentation are visible, by the time you get the fermenter to 50 degrees, 80% of the fermentation would be over. Just wait it out, if you can.

If your sanitation was good, fermentation with the lager yeast should start soon.

Thanks!......any benefit to pitching more yeast? Since I didn't make a starter......I have time so waiting it out is no big deal

No real big benefit to pitching more yeast at this point. Would it help sure it will, but it will have altered the enviroment that the yeast have come accustom which is not necessarily a good thing. RDWHAHB and wait it out.

Ed

I don't understand why the Yeast Guys(TM) have you pitch warm then cool. I'm far from an expert on yeast, but it just doesn't seem to add any value. Less stuck ferments when underpitching, maybe?

I don't understand why the Yeast Guys(TM) have you pitch warm then cool. I'm far from an expert on yeast, but it just doesn't seem to add any value. Less stuck ferments when underpitching, maybe?

It reduces the risk of their product not working "properly". They do that because (this is just my opinion now) they know the lager yeast straight from the vial or smack pack is underpitching for a 5 gallon batch if you don't make a starter. Warmer temps initially help the yeast get started. Also, storage and transport conditions after leaving the manufacturing facility and date towards expiration can compromise yeast viability. So, starting warmer can help that as well. But what this also does is increases the amount of flavor-active compounds produced by the yeast (diacetyl, esters, fusel alcohols, etc.). Some of these get cleaned up with a diacetyl rest and lagering, some don't.

It's interesting because all of the knowledge of modern lager brewing indicates to pitch the right amount of yeast (a lot) and pitch it cold (<50°F) for the trademark clean lager beer.

Back