Flat Tire (Fat Tire) Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsejody

Reaction score
My husband is working on making his first batch ever. He bought a kit that is called Flat Tire. It's supposed to be similar to Fat Tire. It spent a week in the bucket in a room that was in the 60's temperature wise (it bubbled nicely). On Sunday he moved it to the carboy and placed it in the same location. A person on another forum is advising him to move the carboy to a cooler location (about 56-57 degrees) and leave it there for 2-3 weeks to make better beer. Does that make sense to you guys? Also, once he bottles it, how long should it stay in he bottles, and at what temperature should it be stored at in the bottles?
Thanks for the help.
Jody

two to three weeks in the secondary at the same temperature as your primary (60s) will work fine. Then leave it in the bottles for THREE weeks @ 70 degrees before even trying it....

Are you taking SG readings with a hydrometer?

I prefer to secondary (that's what it's doing in the carboy) at the same temperature as the initial fermentation, or even a couple of degrees higher. I believe that it will help condition the beer a little faster, and possibly get a bit more complete fermentation. There are many opinions on the subject however, and none are necessarily right or wrong. Just different ways to accomplish the same things.

After a couple of weeks in the carboy, bottle it and leave the bottles at 70-75 degrees for 3 weeks for best carbonation results. Once it's carbonated and you're satisfied that it's conditioned long enough (tastes good), they can be refrigerated or otherwise cold stored but it's not necessary. For best results refrigerate at least 48 hours before serving.

Just like woolly said, 2-3 more weeks then bottle if gravity readings are constant for a couple of days. then leave in the bottle for 3 more weeks.
No need to move the secondary to another spot, mid 60's is great for that type of beer.

Great job double checking on this site, it's the only one you will need :)

oh, yeah I forgot to tell you that you can send us sample bottles and we'll certify that it is beer for you!

Back