BIG MONEY $$$ Milk Stout blues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunk

Reaction score
My second batch of beer. I was prepping my carboy while my milk stout brew was in the kettle, and i picked up the carboy to empty out the sanitizer and...i dropped it...on the edge of my bathtub. carboy survived...the bathtub didn't. there is big dent and a chip the size of a knee cap. i have someone to repair it for...lets just say...a lot more than it cost to brew the batch of beer. BUT the good news is the milk stout is fermenting very nicely! oh the things you learn.

It could have honestly been worse...it could have been your blood on the bathroom floor...That's why many of us have gotten rid of glass carboys...

It's too bad about your tub, but if it did that much damage, lord knows how a cheap glass carboy survived...but I wouldn't trust it to survive another blow like that.

You might wanna read this...It'll make your toes curl.

No More Glass Beer Fermenters - Lustreking Brewing

damn that sucks!

Sorry to hear, but it will be worth it!!

For sure, if you do decide to keep using that carboy be very very careful with it - like keep it inside a milk crate 24/7. There's a good chance it has a weakness in the glass now because of the hard bump and it could break without warning just from a temperature change or something.

BUT the good news is the milk stout is fermenting very nicely!

WHEW - THAT is the main thing!!

I refuse to be scared over glass carboys! I used to play in playgrounds that used gravel under the swing sets. In High School we had to climb ropes to the roof of the gym with 1/2 inch rubber to stop our 20 foot fall.

Perhaps people should be careful. OR - have handles on their carboys!

I'll probably never buy another glass one just because they are cheaper but but I'm not going to wing my hands and worry!

until I sever my hands off and then I can't.

Dang Revvy, the stories on that link are something. I was thinking at some point I might want a five gallon secondary for adding fruit or dry-hopping, that's a ways down the line still, but I think I'll be looking into Better Bottles or something similar. YIKES!

I was pretty excited about getting glass carboys when I was starting a couple of months ago, but then I read too many horror stories about people loosing the function of hands and feet do to them, so I've purchased 4 Better Bottles (2-6 gallon and 2-5 gallon) instead.

nothing is better then long term bluk aging then glass carboys... but they are heavy and have no handels... I prefer plastic carboys... they clean easier, they have handels, they are lighter, etc etc... But i have some glass just for bulk aging and long term fermenting... Sorry about the tub, glad your ok.

Cheers

Back