Kegerator Coming Together

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I got my CL beater fridge home, will see if I managed to kill it tomorrow.

My 2 keg kegerator kit from Midwest shipped today.

My red ale is thumping away.

I'm starting to get excited!

:rockin:

Fridge is a big ole thing. I know it will fit four, and could fit as many as six kegs.
I measured and the bottom space is 19x27. Four and the C02 bottle, for sure.

It won't be very pretty for a while, I will be using cobra taps at first.

Butt ugly, but (hopefully) functional.

The door has a dent, probably from a strap. If I decide to use this as my full time kegerator (it may stay in the garage for lager), I will probably put a piece of plywood across the door where the dent is, and mount the taps through the board.

dude have you seen mine. I picked up the freezer for 40 bucks or so from craigslist...

Hey, I think your "Goaterator" looks cool!

I went all out and spent $75 on my beater.

im sure that will be like the Lamborghini of keggerators. I went with the 1970 trash-heap but it works none the less. You gonna build a collar?

im sure that will be like the Lamborghini of keggerators. I went with the 1970 trash-heap but it works none the less. You gonna build a collar?

It is a full sized refrigerator, and pretty big.

Could you actually put a collar on a fridge? I guess if you replaced the door with an insulated half box that mounted on the hinges and added a small platform that extended past where the current floor is...you could put a LOT of kegs in one!

i dont know if thats ever been done. you would be the first. I misunderstood and thought you were talking about a freezer...

That thing was SOOOOO gross.

I just scrubbed it out, at least the top layer. I don't think they had cleaned it since they got it. I found a brown cheese stick under the vegetable drawers.

It smelled like a nursing home on the inside.

However, even with the "compressor slope" in the back, it is HUGE. I think it might hold six kegs and a CO2 bottle, with a little squeezing.

Definitely hold the four I plan on putting in it.

I have it pretty clean now and added a shelf. The shelf was needed to overcome the compressor "slope" at the back. I have 18"x27" to play with now.

It looks like I can fit 6 kegs, 5 kegs and a CO2 bottle, or 4 kegs and a 6 gallon better bottle inside.

IMAG0008-2.jpg

IMAG0009-1.jpg

Here is the weird hole the former owner cut between the freezer and refrigerator compartments:

IMAG0010-2.jpg

Left a glass of water with a thermometer in it at the bottom overnight.

It was a frosty 34* this morning. Going to play with the temp settings...

Left a glass of water with a thermometer in it at the bottom overnight.

It was a frosty 34* this morning. Going to play with the temp settings...

OK, now I am getting a perfect 38*. I need to make that spot on the dial with a sharpie.

Question: When you remove the inside of the refrigerator door to make room, do you just leave the insulation exposed, or do you put a thin piece of wood or plastic over it?

I am thinking of getting some kind of thing plastic sheet to cover it.

Back