Not bubbling once moved to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
I recently brewed the NB Belgium #8 kit ( 6 pounds LME, 2 Pounds DME, 2 pounds soft dark belgium sugar, 1 pound corn sugar) which has the belgium abby yeast (wyeast 1762).

-Primary for 10days with blowoff tube around 75-80 degrees(i know high). After 10days it would bubble about once every 2-3minutes, so i transfered to the secondary.
- The secondary i sanitized with bleach and rinsed twice. Since ive transfered it, i havent seen the airlock bubble once. Do i have anything to worry about?

I broke my hydrometer awhile ago and never got a new one so i didnt take any gravity readings at all with this batch, which now i wish i did.

No, you shouldn't worry....No fermentation should occur during secondary...It's for clearing. And if you racked after 10-12 days fermentation was probably over...therefore, no fermentation, no co2 building up which might cause the bubbler to bubble...

But remember that Bubbling, or lack of is not an indicator of anything...

SO GO GET A HYDROMETER!!!! :D

Well, you racked it off of the majority of the yeast, so the action is a lot slower now, if it's still going. I wouldn't worry too much about infection, but I'd go ahead and replace the hydrometer so you can determine if it's done. Anything else would be a guess, and I'd much rather know if my beer had fermented out.

Edit: What Revvy said. Gotta love the homebrew forum where a reverend and a theologian are the first to reply to your question.

all fermentation is supposed to take place in the primary. the secondary fermenter is actually a clearing tank. you should really take a reading before moving to secondary, because if you moved it too early it could stop the fermentation short. that said, after ten days you're probably okay. go buy a hydrometer and take a reading, if the sg is still very high you may want to rock the fermenter to stir up the yeast or repitch, but i doubt that's necessary.

Back