Vacuum Sealer - Plastic vs. Mylar bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
I keep all my hops in a cooler in the freezer, however since I bought a pound of centennial, I'd really like to break it into oz packs for ease of use. I know mylar packaging is superior, however it is much more expensive.

Whats everyone's thoughts on this issue? I can get a vacuum sealer for 40 bucks at Kmart that works with the standard plastic sheets.

I just ordered a Seal-A-Meal (ebay) so I'm looking into this as well. I recently read on a grow-hops group that it may work to re-use those single serving potato chip bags, but I have not tried it yet.

I use the Handi Vac as well. Works nicely, especially for $10. If you're getting one of the heat sealers, be aware that the normal food packaging LDPE melts at 120 deg C, while PET (Mylar) melts at 280 deg C. Big difference.

I'm another Handi Vac user. For $10 it works like a charm, especially if you use the bags that the hops come in, sealed within the Vac bags.

My mother uses one for her landscaping company to preserve flower bulbs when she buys in bulk. She is sending me the Black and Decker that sells for about 40 bucks...

I found the mylar bags from a few sources, but DAMN its expensive!!!

I know that a couple of the homebrew wholesalers sell the same mylar "oxygen barrier" bags that they use to package their own hops in. Your LHBS might be able to order them for you.

Personally I use a foodsaver and the Wal-mart house brand bags (great value?). I am thinking that in a couple years when the hop yard gets to producing I might buy the mylar bags.

Latest posts

Back