Don't pour away bad beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norselord

Reaction score
Just today I opened a bottle of my bad beer and mixed 2/3rds of it with a bottle of good beer -- and it was actually quite delish.

Anyone else blend their bad beers in with good beers to achiever above average results?

Define bad? What was wrong with the beer you label "bad"?

Personally I don't have time or patience for undrinkable beer; any undrinkable beer after reasonable aging is dumped. Undrinkable is subjective and I'm pretty darn picky; so yea, I have dumped a lot of beer. Now that my brewing sense and knowledge is improving, along with my equipment I don't have the dumping problem I used to.

I define bad beer as anything I don't thoroughly enjoy.

Personally I don't have time or patience for undrinkable beer; any undrinkable beer after reasonable aging is dumped. Undrinkable is subjective and I'm pretty darn picky; so yea, I have dumped a lot of beer. Now that my brewing sense and knowledge is improving, along with my equipment I don't have the dumping problem I used to.

I tried to make a low alcohol brown ale (3.5%) but didn't give it enough malt back bone. It ended up being too watery. I mixed it in with summit/citra pale ale that was tasty and the combo was great.

Sounds like you mean beer that is just not quite right, rather than bad. Bad beer to me is infected gross beer that you don't want to drink, and I can't imagine mixing it with good beer. ;o

I tried to make a low alcohol brown ale (3.5%) but didn't give it enough malt back bone. It ended up being too watery. I mixed it in with summit/citra pale ale that was tasty and the combo was great.

I pretty much agree with this, Shoots. I make a LOT of beer--much more than I can drink myself--and at this point I almost always have 2-3 beers in fermenters or kegs awaiting their kegerator space. If it's not something that makes me smile, I either let it age a bit or dump it to make room for the next batch. There's just too damn much great beer in the world right now (mine, brew club, or pro) to suffer through something sub par!

YMMV :fro:

No.

If I make a beer, and it's to where I don't want to drink it, down the drain it goes.

I don't waste my time on beer I have to blend to be happy with. While it may end up tasting good blended, it isn't what I was wanting out of my brew, and it has to go.

I had a buddy that loved a beer I brewed. I hated it, he offered to "drain" the keg for me, I wouldn't let him. It just wasn't up to snuff for what I wanted. I made him watch me dump it in the yard, pretty sure he's still pissed.

No.

If I make a beer, and it's to where I don't want to drink it, down the drain it goes.

I don't waste my time on beer I have to blend to be happy with. While it may end up tasting good blended, it isn't what I was wanting out of my brew, and it has to go.

I had a buddy that loved a beer I brewed. I hated it, he offered to "drain" the keg for me, I wouldn't let him. It just wasn't up to snuff for what I wanted. I made him watch me dump it in the yard, pretty sure he's still pissed.

That seems really unreasonable and weird of you.

Ahhh, a true philanthropist. :)

That seems really unreasonable and weird of you.

It was all in jest. He liked it, but knew the only reason I had to dump was because I needed capacity. He cried a little. He's drained many a keg for me, he's been well compensated.

Seems like your pale was to hoppy and thinning it out made it more palateable for you.

Not a fan of blending "bad" beer. I have blended my coffee ipa with my belgian dubbel and that was fantastic.
I will say ive never really dumped a batch, but have given a bunch of my first couple batches away because i just didnt want to deal with it.

I have a brown porter in bottles right now that has a nasty phenolic character to it. I used half a case the other day to fill the water pan in my smoker. I plan to do that again this weekend. It's not going to waste, but I'm certainly not drinking it.

I've only had one batch (out of about 15) I had to dump, I tried pretty much everything to save it. Blending, flavoring, time, nothing worked. It broke my heart, but I finally dumped it. Lately had a light ale turn out "too" light. No bad flavor, just no flavor! Blending with a stronger beer not only made it drinkable, made it good. The strong beer was too strong anyway, now 2 poor beers are 1 good beer! They blend wines, & whiskeys, I see no reason not to save 2 so so brews.

I've had 2 batches that became gushers. The turkey baster I'd been using to take hydrometer readings had some bacteria in it. I drank as many add I could, but ended up dumping about half of the Stout batch and a third of the ESB. No longer take a sample during fermentation anymore. I always reach my final gravities so I test it at kegging time now.

I've only had one batch (out of about 15) I had to dump, I tried pretty much everything to save it. Blending, flavoring, time, nothing worked. It broke my heart, but I finally dumped it. Lately had a light ale turn out "too" light. No bad flavor, just no flavor! Blending with a stronger beer not only made it drinkable, made it good. The strong beer was too strong anyway, now 2 poor beers are 1 good beer! They blend wines, & whiskeys, I see no reason not to save 2 so so brews.

This is what i had happen and what i was trying to express.

Back