CFC's: Chillus vs. Chillzilla vs. "regular" CFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustBow

Reaction score
For those with experience, how much better is the performance of the "Chillus Convolutus" or "ChillZilla" compared to the "standard"/DIY version of the CFC using 3/8" fridge coil and a garden hose?

I don't mind paying more for better equipment, but is the performance that much better with the high-end products?
I would have a pump and whirlpool back into the BK so that might lessen the difference even more?

For some reason I just get hung up on the idea of pumping through the smaller 1/4" ID tubing of the "standard" CFC's when I could upgrade and pump through bigger/wider CFC's that match with all the other 1/2" tubing/equipment in my rig. Does the power of the pump make up for the smaller copper tubing and its restrictions?

Thanks for any info you can provide, I will be getting a pump and CFC at the same time and don't have any experience with either yet.

I have a chillzilla and can cool in a single pass with my pump rate pretty high. I tried to build one, failed miserable, so for me the chillzilla is the only way to go. Plus it is all copper, looks cool.

How about a 1/2" all copper CFC?
This is one I built:

DSC00422.JPG

Did you use 1/2" fridge tubing or true 1/2" nominal tubing?
Then you used 3/4" tubing for the outside?

It has crossed my mind :)
Just kind of scared to try and bend/coil the thicker 3/4" pipe...

Re: 1/2" CFC. I use 1/2"OD inner copper tubing inserted inside 3/4"OD copper tubing. The coiling must be done on a larger form as the 3/4" tube will kink badly if you attempt to wrap it onto a Cornelius keg. I used a form that is 13" in diameter. Tough to form but very do-able.

Take it slow and take it easy. The more you work the copper the more it hardens. BTW the copper coil is slightly less than 25'.

The Chillzilla is only 15 ft in length at most! For the price difference you can make a longer coil and the effects of turbulent flow vs laminar will be irrelevant.

FWIW, I ended up with the Chillzilla and I love it. I pump thru it and whirlpool back into the kettle and it works great - not sure I could get the same flow thru the thinner tubing. The faster flow really works well for me for both chilling and "trub piling" :)

whirlpool-57130.jpg

The only difference between the convolutus and all the others is the size, they all work about the same. Because of the convoluted copper the convolutus has only 12' of tubing.

Hmm it's only .025 smaller, I'd imagine that a 5/8 compression fitting would work with thick enough orings... I don't own a stainless version though so I am just speculating.

I can confirm whether or not this will work, I have some 5/8 compression fittings and the William's chiller. My initial thoughts when I put the compression fitting over the tube is that this will not work. But I will grab some o rings and test, but I've been leaning towards silver soldering some try clovers on.

I was thinking about using orings instead of the compression ferrule but I'm not really a fan of that setup. I know it works for many, but is prefer to stay away from them.
I'm going to bore out some 1/2" stainless NPT plugs to the diameter of the inlet/outlet tubes and weld them on. That way ill have the option of quick disconnect or Tri Clover fittings.

I believe my Chilzilla is from Northern Brewer and it has pipe fitting on one wort end but not the other...I put a hose barb on that end and use that for the "in" and just put the silicone tubing on the out end with a "quick clamp." works fine. Funny how similar but different these all are

For those that have William's stainless CFC, can you comment on its performance compared with Chillzilla or other counterflow/plate chillers?

...but I've been leaning towards silver soldering some try clovers on.

I TIG welded mine on. Definitely think sanitary ferrules are the way to go. I built a thermometer/O2 stone assembly that clamps onto the tri clover outlet from the chiller and has a Morebeer quick disconnect on the outlet to match the rest of my system. The hose that supplies the chiller from the boil kettle is QD on one end and tri clover on the other. No big deal to hook everything up and it works really well.

For those that have William's stainless CFC, can you comment on its performance compared with Chillzilla or other counterflow/plate chillers?

I had a Duda Diesel 40-plate chiller before switching to the Williams chiller. My cooling times for 5-gallons has increased by a few minutes, but the Williams chiller is far easier to clean and drain. I'm very happy with my decision.

Back