Pitching yeast too hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

31FIFTY

Reaction score
What will happen if I pitched my yeast a little prematurely. I was pressed for time. It may have been down to 75 but it's hard to say?

It had a 25 min ice bath and seemed ok but I'm always worrying. Thanks ahead for the feedback

75F isn't too bad for the average ale yeast. It'll cool down overnight if the room isn't overly warm. Get it down to 65-70F next time though. 65 would be better,as temps rising a little are better than temps lowering too much.

You'll be fine. As long as your temp isn't up at 90+ degrees, the yeast will be fine- might not be an ideal pitching temp, but it certainly isn't going to kill your yeast. I pitched in the 80s plenty of times when I was first starting and hadn't gotten obsessive about such things yet. RDWHAHB.

Not in 6 hours or so with the average batch. I've had a couple take off that fast,but not often. That's where starters & precise temp control come into play. The average brewer can count on 12 hours or more.

Sunday morning I woke up to some activity. It is on the slower side: one "blup" sound every 4 or 5 seconds. The only really amazing batch I have made (out of 4 previous batches) the yeast was firing by the next morning and the "blup blup blup" was every second or less, very aggressive.

I have been told not to read too much into this but with what little experience I have, the rapid noise is a good sign.

Back