Bottling concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craq5

Reaction score
Brewed up belgian trippel after 60 days in primary/secondary fermentation. Thought I would try corked beer. I have always capped. I bottled in what was sold to me at the brew mart as champagne bottles. After looking at them closer I fear they may be wine bottles. I know I used the right amount of priming sugar. I now have 22 bottles sitting in a box bottled and corked.

It has been 3 days and I am starting to see thin yeast layer form at the bottom of the bottle so i know it's on it's way. My concern is that if these are indeed wine bottles that they break under pressure. Any advice on what I can do? I am sure it's not near final pressure. I have double bagged the boxes of bottles just in case, but don't want to lose this brew.

Checking with the brew mart to check with their supplier but am concerned. Any advice would be awesome.

That does sound like a scary situation. You could uncork them, and cover with sanitized saran wrap until you find out if they are indeed champagne bottles. Or at least uncork one now to check the pressure and make a decision on the rest. Or if you have a way to cool them down do that, it will slowdown the yeasties a bit.

All the champange bottles I've ever seen have concave bottoms wine bottles have flat bottoms.

Since its only been 4 days I am thinkning of taking your approach of opening and covering with sanitized saranwrap. Thinkning of transfering into 22 oz bombers. Will it still carb up if I release pressure now?

Do I need re-introduce some priming sugar?

if they are regular corks in wine bottles its 50/50 if the wine bottles will explode or just shoot a cork. punted bottles are stronger and more likely to shoot a cork.

champagne bottles can be corked with a #7 cork. Did they have cages for the corks? were they champagne corks? champagne bottles can also be capped.

so what exactly did you use?

Unfortunately as I expected they are wine bottles. NO punted bottom. The cork seems to be on pretty tight though. Can't pull it out by hand

I have double bagged all of the bottles while in the box and hoping for the best. Do you think there is absolutely no chance I dont blow a cork or explode bottles?

The store will replace all my bottles, grain, yeast, hops etc... but it doesnt help this batch. I am thinking of just riding it out for 2 weeks and trying to open one up and see what happens.

If the bottles are carbed in 2 weeks, do you think I am safe?

Good on the store for replacing everything. I'd seriously open one everyday or two with goggles and some personal protective equipment and check how things are coming along. If they get in a good place carbonation wise place them (gently) into the fridge,cool down for a week.

Honestly not much help to you here. Bottlebombs scare me to death. I really wish and hope for you somebody with more experience working with glass bottles chimes in. I'd play it pretty safe at this point. I keg everything, not much worry about over pressurizing and at least there is a relief valve on kegs.

Sorry, I really feel like I let you down. Just be safe and all should be well. Keeping them well covered and kids or pets away from where they are carbonating is probably a good idea.

Back