Homebrewers in Charleston WV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sucks man. We will have a drink for you. I am down for a brew day. I would like to learn some new tricks. I am still an extract brewer, but want to move into the world of all grain.

You've met the right group if you want to step up to all grain. Kevin does BIAB and I have the standard igloo cooler HLT and MT with a keggle brew pot. I'm working on making an electric HERMS heater now. I hope to test it soon and try it out next brew.

Ma23456,
Thanks for the heads up. If you are ever in the Charleston area let us know.
If you in the area tomorrow we have a meet and great at PIES AND PINTS in downtown charleston.
Does the cellar have a website? what are their hours?
Best Regards,

Last post for this
Tomorrow at 6:30 we are all meeting at Pies and Pints in downtown Charleston. Feel free to come have a brew have a pie, and most importantly have fun.

Sorry it took so long to reply. Thursday (today) won't work for me unfortunately. I live in the Beckley area. I will be in Chas. this weekend for drill if anyone wants to get together on Sat. afternoon/evening. The rib fest is going in in South Chas. I believe. Twofieros, I'm sorry to hear of the recent loss of two friends. My wife lost a friend as well. I wonder if it may be the same couple? It wouldn't have been Kate would it? If so, it's a tragic event and a great loss for all involved. My wife was tore up pretty bad over it.

Dustin and I were there. We exchanged beers and had a great time. I showed him my brewery after we ate. We will have to do it again.

Tim

Sounds good! I would like to see an all grain batch and how its done. Getting ready to make the first step into it here soon. When would you all like to try to set something up?

Thursday or Friday is best for me. It takes me about 6 hours for an all grain batch. I'll post when I'm closer to Scheduling the batch. There's been a bunch of things that came up lately that are trying to get in the way. I still have to finalize the recipe as well.

I live in Nitro and have been making wine for years and have home brewing for the past two years. Glad I've found this thread! Would definetly be up for a home brewers meeting to trade ideas and samples. I keg all my brew but could bring a growler to a meeting if there was a share session. I could meet any weekday after five or on the weekends.

My kegerator has recently started to die...so if anyone know of a good place to buy a used fridge please let me know. I check craigslist and the scratch and dent place in crosslanes..but cant seem to find what I need. I basically put my kegs in top freezer style fridge and taps on the side of the fridge (make my own taps handles).

Oktoberfest/Märzen is my one of my favorite styles of brew...currently have a keg carbon' up right now. This is the only thing I could find regarding Oktoberfest happening in the Charleston, WV area:

http://www.eventcrazy.com/South-Charleston-WV/events/details/13043-Octoberfest

I wasnt too impressed with the RibFest this year in S. Charleston so who knows what this will be like.

Anywho...just wanted to jump on this thread and stay connected with you fellow brewers!

Coldone,

Welcome to the party! I'm currently brewing a batch right now. Heating the sparge water. I'm glad you found this thread.

So far each home brewer I have met in the area can make some great beer! I get the feeling there are quite a few of us but we just need to get a little organized to make it easier to share and meet up.

If there is a day and time you want to meet just pick it and post here. We can go from there about trying to get together. Thursday's seem bad for two of us. I can do Wednesday, Thursday or Friday.

Tim

Ditto,
Coldone welcome to the forum.
I would be down for setting up a meeting. WE can meet up at a local eatery and have an exchange or brews or something.
I would be down. any one have any ideas?

Thanks guys. Sorry it's been a few days.... been on vacation and now trying to catchup. Just got a new kegerator Fridge... so setting that up as well. Most weekdays evenings and some weekends I could meet. Does anybody know a eatery where we can bring our own? I don't bottle mine ....but could bring a growler if they allow that sort of thing.

Cheers

I've never asked anyone if we can bring our own to drink. In the past I have always just swapped beers and sent texts later about my experience.

Weekdays are best for me. Thursdays are not so good for others in the area.

I try to let everyone know when I'm brewing to give them the chance to come over. I've made a few brew days at Kevin's as well.

I'd love to meet up. If we can get everyone together for a dinner that would be cool. Especially if we can drink what we bring. That would allow an open discussion of each.

Tim

How y'all doing? I stumbled on this thread and just wanted to shout out. I'm about 2 hours north from you on I-79. I don't think there's many brewers up this way.. But I'm still stoked to learn that there's a scene down in C-Town! If you get a meet and greet together I could try to make it... Although I'd have to find a nearby hotel. Wouldn't wanna drive home after plenty of meeting and greeting!

Is the 'common ground' still open? I think it was on Summer street.. I saw some killer metal and punk shows there back in the day.

How y'all doing? I stumbled on this thread and just wanted to shout out. I'm about 2 hours north from you on I-79. I don't think there's many brewers up this way.. But I'm still stoked to learn that there's a scene down in C-Town! If you get a meet and greet together I could try to make it... Although I'd have to find a nearby hotel. Wouldn't wanna drive home after plenty of meeting and greeting!

Is the 'common ground' still open? I think it was on Summer street.. I saw some killer metal and punk shows there back in the day.

Two hours north as in Fairmont? There's a Fairmont Area Society of Homebrewers (FASHists) and Morgantown Area Society of Homebrewers (MASH), both with a big presence on facebook.

http://fairmontbrewers.webs.com/

http://mashwv.wordpress.com/

Hi TJ! Yeah.. I'm around Bridgeport. I'm a noob and just trying to make some contacts. Really appreciate the links. Are you active in the clubs?

I checked the Fairmont page. Looks like there are some events coming up. I might have to register and show up at one of em.

Hi TJ! Yeah.. I'm around Bridgeport. I'm a noob and just trying to make some contacts. Really appreciate the links. Are you active in the clubs?

I checked the Fairmont page. Looks like there are some events coming up. I might have to register and show up at one of em.

Hey 707, I'm not active in the clubs, just follow the facebook groups. I know a few people in the clubs, and there is some cross-pollination of course. :)

My Christmas beer is about ready. How many others here made a seasonal beer this year? It would be cool to set up a meeting or dinner where we could sample everyone's brew. How many would be interested in that? If you want to meet in charleston post here and I'll pick a day in December. That's still enough time to brew up a beer if you haven't already.

Tim

My Christmas beer is about ready. How many others here made a seasonal beer this year? It would be cool to set up a meeting or dinner where we could sample everyone's brew. How many would be interested in that? If you want to meet in charleston post here and I'll pick a day in December. That's still enough time to brew up a beer if you haven't already.

Tim

That sounds fantastic! I have recently gotten back into homebrewing after taking a couple years off. In fact, what lead me to this forum was this particular thread.

Right now ive got a paw paw wheat beer fermenting in the secondary over top of the paw paws so it will definitely be ready in december and im also going to brew a chocolate peanut butter porter soon, which i guess is slightly more seasonal. :D

Kole

I originally started this thread and am certainly glad there's been an overwhelming response. There is a local club/group called K.R.A.Z.E. ( Kanawha Regional Association of Zymurlogical Enthusiasts ). Rob Asten in the president and Rich Ireland, that writes the "beers to you" blog for the gazette is also involved with the group. It is on Facebook if anyone has an interest in it.
It seems there is a need for a homebrew club around here, but KRAZE isn't specifically for just the homebrewing scene. I suppose this homebrew talk thread is the best source of info for all of us local homebrewers. Anyway, glad to see the great response thus far.

BanjoSavesTheDay said:
Could you send me a link or something to the K.R.A.Z.E. page? For some reason I cannot find it!

Kole

It's a closed group so I guess I would need to add you to the group. I would need to to friend you on Facebook and then add you into the group. Direct message me on here if you can with your info.

Greg

Hello home brewers,
I live just north of Charleston, near Sissonville. I'm interested in getting into home brewing, and specifically want to brew stouts and porters.
I have no experience and would like some advice and guidance from someone who has already been through the pains of start-up.
Is there anyone here who would be open to letting me come observe the next time you brew, and maybe ask questions about equipment and ingredients?

Ed

Hello Ed welcome to the forum. I wish I saw this earlier as I just brewed 10 gallons today. I'm sure someone here will show you the ropes or I'll try and get another beer brewed up soon and invite you over. I live in South Charleston.

Tim

Back