Alabama vote.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they were sending it to a more appropriate comittee, but I am not sure.

I checked the voting records of the comittee members and it looks as if it should be viewed favorably...

What an odd legislative process when a bill that passes can then be sent back to comittee. Not sure I've seen that anywhere before. Not exactly sure what it means for the state of the bill either, though I imagine it can't be very good.

It passed the House, now it is going to a committee in the Senate. It is the normal process.

Sweet. I may have to brew up something big to celebrate. I'll hold off, for now. Forgive me if I'm skeptical of politicians. But, things really are looking good. Kudos to all the local guys that have put so much time & effort into this. I'm sure you have better things to do. Like homebrewing. :)

It passed the House, now it is going to a committee in the Senate. It is the normal process.

Yup. It has to go through committee if it has a chance of seeing the floor. Being sent to a different committee is way better than being sat tot he side and allowed to dry up and die.

I find myself holding out hope, these days.

JOB CREATION AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
Sanford, Chairperson; Blackwell, Vice Chairperson; Beason, Coleman, Fielding, Irons, Reed, Scofield, Williams.

Email the comittee member and ask them to support the bill.

JOB CREATION AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
Sanford, Chairperson; Blackwell, Vice Chairperson; Beason, Coleman, Fielding, Irons, Reed, Scofield, Williams.

Email the comittee member and ask them to support the bill.

Who is the sponsor in the senate?

Wow, that audio clip from 2011 was actually mind blowing for me. Didn't sound like State Representative's, sounded like rural small town city councilmen at a revival. And the Rep talking about the moonshiner in his district, too funny (probably contributed to his campaign) I am keeping my fingers crossed for you Alabama home brewers, my heart really goes out to you, and hopefully the Senate is a bit more in this Century.

Wow, that audio clip from 2011 was actually mind blowing for me. Didn't sound like State Representative's, sounded like rural small town city councilmen at a revival. And the Rep talking about the moonshiner in his district, too funny (probably contributed to his campaign) I am keeping my fingers crossed for you Alabama home brewers, my heart really goes out to you, and hopefully the Senate is a bit more in this Century.

The senate is harder position for the local hillbilly like DuWayne Bridges, Kurt Wallace, Richard Laird and Mac Buttrum to get elected to. Usually the politically savvy will start out in the house and then move on to the senate. State reps like Alvin Holmes, who has been in the house for THIRTY FIVE years, couldn't get elected to the senate if they were the only one running.

I feel optimistic that if the bill gets out of committee soon enough it will pass.
The same bill has passed out of the house the two previous years before moving to the house and dying in committee, then dying on the house floor the following year.

The senate is harder position for the local hillbilly like DuWayne Bridges, Kurt Wallace, Richard Laird and Mac Buttrum to get elected to. Usually the politically savvy will start out in the house and then move on to the senate. State reps like Alvin Holmes, who has been in the house for THIRTY FIVE years, couldn't get elected to the senate if they were the only one running.

I feel optimistic that if the bill gets out of committee soon enough it will pass.
The same bill has passed out of the house the two previous years before moving to the house and dying in committee, then dying on the house floor the following year.

This.^^^

Although high school graduate(with a bit of community college) Shad McGill may beg to differ. Ha!

It is a bit like that in national politics too. The Senators I have met and dealt with were much more impressive overall than most members of the house that I have met.

Reading this thread makes me feel extremely lucky that I don't live in a "dry" state when it comes to home brewing. Godspeed fellow Alabama home brewers!

I mean this in the most NONDISRESPECTFUL way possible... When AL finally has it's home brewing renaissance, I hope that SOMEONE takes some good home brew to the next coon dog cemetery liars contest/festival. AND they let me know when that is going to happen because I would LOVE to go! :mug:

Still on your side in the far the north,

Z

Ah, comittee in the senate. Sorry, I misread the original as they sent to back to another comittee in the house. That makes much more sense.

Got this email today:

The word around Montgomery is we only have next week to get past the
committee and the Senate or bust. Everyone seems optimistic that it
will get through without opposition but with limited time I'm not
exactly setting myself up for disappointment. Unfortunately, I'll be
out of town next week on business so won't be able to attend a Senate
meeting if it goes public.

I'd say if there was a time for folks to be emailing and calling, you
have about 6-7 days to get it right.

On May 3, 8:14 am, wrote:
> Our bill was re-referred to the Senate Committee on Job Creation and
> Economic Development last night. Mac told me this morning that he was
> working the bill in the Senate last night, and this is a good move.
> After I stated the obvious to him that time is running out, he
> reassured me that we are in position to get the bill through the
> Senate.
>
> I do not know when JC&ED will meet, but I hope it is soon.
>

Got this email today:

The word around Montgomery is we only have next week to get past the
committee and the Senate or bust. Everyone seems optimistic that it
will get through without opposition but with limited time I'm not
exactly setting myself up for disappointment. Unfortunately, I'll be
out of town next week on business so won't be able to attend a Senate
meeting if it goes public.

I'd say if there was a time for folks to be emailing and calling, you
have about 6-7 days to get it right.

On May 3, 8:14 am, wrote:
> Our bill was re-referred to the Senate Committee on Job Creation and
> Economic Development last night. Mac told me this morning that he was
> working the bill in the Senate last night, and this is a good move.
> After I stated the obvious to him that time is running out, he
> reassured me that we are in position to get the bill through the
> Senate.
>
> I do not know when JC&ED will meet, but I hope it is soon.
>

:mug:

FYI - SB294 (Gourmet Bottle Bill) The bill to increase the beer container limit to 22oz. and 750mL state wide is on the special order calendar for tomorrow for the house.
If the past alcohol bill debates are any indication this should be a lively debate.

Currently they do not enforce the law. The only people who get in trouble were in trouble for something else. Like one person who was accused of having a still on his property and was in possession of some 'shine.
Also it would be hard to enforce the 15 gal limit. Thats the idea :D.

HB354 is scheduled for the Job Creation and Economic Development Senate committee tomorrow at 1 PM.

It is expected to be reported favorably in the committee tommorrow so we are hoping that we get a vote later this week in the senate.

BIR fails. The bill is dead for the year.

To clarify, this is for the gourmet bottle bill. In Alabama, before the state budget is passed, all bills require a "Budget Isolation Resolution." Alabama legislature is constitutionally obligated to pass a budget, so to do anything else, they have to pass a BIR first. The BIR requires 60% (I think) to pass.

Vote was 42 ayes to 40 nays. BIR failed.

Latest posts

Back