Sugar Additions and Other ingredient additions. Timing, preparation..random question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelskocik

Reaction score
So.. based on my understanding on how yeast will break down sucrose or dextrose before maltose, sugar additions are best added 2/3 of the way through fermentation... agreed?

Should yeast nutrient be added to the sugar during preparation of the addition?

Also, has anyone used vanilla flavored corn syrup before? If i use this should I cook it up first? It is intreging to me, cause secondary additions of vanilla i could be overwhelming.. thoughts?

Finally, has anyone used Sakar? Found it at the Indian Grocery Store with some Jaggery.

I'm doing a simple Belgium Ale.. with corriander and orange, however, I'd like to add some cinnamon, vanilla, along with the Jaggery into the fermentation.. thoughts?

I add all simple sugars during high kraeusen, several days into fermentation. I think most people add the sugar in the kettle. The only time I'd really argue not to add in the kettle is if it pushes the gravity too high. Osmotic pressure will really mess up yeast over 1.120, but even as low as 1.080, yeast could have trouble if their health is poor.

For most yeast, most of the time, kettle additions should be fine.

Yeast metabolize vanillin, so don't add any vanilla compounds during fermentation.

As far as the spices go, use a very light touch. I wouldn't use more than 1 gram per gallon of any of them. I generally use about 0.75g / gallon on my spiced beers.

good point... any spice additions that aren't in the kettle shoud be in secondary...

thanks for the advise on the ratios. I'll compare that to what my recipe is.

Im trying to duplicate a hazelnut stout from a local micro. The brewer claims they go very light on the hazelnut extract, to the tune of 1/8 of a tsp/gallon.

Does that strike anyone as too strong?

Back