Bottle Condition Lager Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoHomebrew

Reaction score
I am doing my first Lager and am slightly confused about bottling. Here is what I have done so far
10/9 brewed and pitched yeast at 50F
10/17 Diacytl rest
10/19 racked to secondary lagered at 45F
10/25 lager temp change to 39F

I am wondering when to bottle as the lagering will certainly settle out the yeast but I want enough for carbonation.

Any help?

I am doing my first Lager and am slightly confused about bottling. Here is what I have done so far
10/9 brewed and pitched yeast at 50F
10/17 Diacytl rest
10/19 racked to secondary lagered at 45F
10/25 lager temp change to 39F

I am wondering when to bottle as the lagering will certainly settle out the yeast but I want enough for carbonation.

Any help?

I like to lager "colder, longer". What I mean is I like to lager at 34 degrees for a longer period of time. It seems to me to produce a cleaner, crisper, better lager.

I like to lager 1 week (or longer) for each 8-10 points of OG. So, for a 1.070 lager, I'd lager for 7-10 weeks at 34 degrees.

Anyway, after that the yeast may be pretty slow to carb up the beer once bottled. I've done it, but it took a long time! So now I recommend adding about 1/3 package of dry yeast (nottingham is great for this) when bottling.

How I do it is to boil the priming solution, and cool it and add it to the bottling bucket. Stir in 1/3 package of dry ale yeast (from an 11 gram package) and rack the beer into that.

It works really great! The bottles carb up well within three weeks at 70 degrees, the lager stays clear and crisp, and the nottingham forms a nice tight compact yeast cake.

That's a good idea and I think I have a package of that yeast around. I usually wash my yeast but this being my first lager, all of the bavaian lager yeast is at the bottom.

Checked my muntons and it doesn't say ale or lager. I got it with ale kits 6 months ago but used a liquid. Does it matter if it is ale or lager?

Checked my muntons and it doesn't say ale or lager. I got it with ale kits 6 months ago but used a liquid. Does it matter if it is ale or lager?

Yes absolutely. Because ale yeast wont' ferment at 50 degrees.

Are you asking does it matter for bottling? No. Notty is an ale yeast. Well, depending on what temp you want to bottle condition at.
For the primary fermentation? What Yooper said.

Are you asking does it matter for bottling? No. Notty is an ale yeast. Well, depending on what temp you want to bottle condition at.
For the primary fermentation? What Yooper said.

Oh, I misunderstood I think! For bottling, the Muntons (the full package) will do although it would be my absolute last choice.

I thought you meant for fermenting the lager.

Back