Oat Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pintail78

Reaction score
Hey, this coverts at about 60% in an infusion partial mash, and ferments very well, tried it in 2 batches, I'll report back on taste.

no, i bought it from high gravity in tulsa. its fawcette, which is the only people that do it.

Just confirmation do they only malt oats, or is there anything in place making sure there isn't substantial cross contamination from sometimes processing wheat on the same machinery?

I dont know, it can be a problem with oats. high gravity in tulsa is the retailer and fawcetts is the manufacturer. the owner at high gravity is a celiac and didnt react to it and im not that sensitive, so i may just see if i react or talk to fawcetts. first i want to see how good it is......

Just confirmation do they only malt oats, or is there anything in place making sure there isn't substantial cross contamination from sometimes processing wheat on the same machinery?

Fawcett definitely doesn't just do oats, they do barley and wheat.

The owner of HG is indeed a celiac though, and I know she uses it in her beers.

Just tested this for gluten, it was a 5 gallon batch with 5# of fawcett malted oats, some sorghum, dark candy, and maltodextrin, and whites ale yeast diluted down to less than 1 ppm in final beer.

It tested at very high levels levels of gluten with the EZ gluten test. I think it may be a cross contamination problem, and maybe thats why it converted but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Just tested this for gluten, it was a 5 gallon batch with 5# of fawcett malted oats, some sorghum, dark candy, and maltodextrin, and whites ale yeast diluted down to less than 1 ppm in final beer.

It tested at very high levels levels of gluten with the EZ gluten test. I think it may be a cross contamination problem, and maybe thats why it converted but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Well, that's not good.

I was under the impression that there isn't a gluten test kit available for the average joe that is considered accurate or at least guaranteed to be when testing an alcoholic beverage.

Did you make an attempt to test the oats on their own(which is much more inline with the kit instructions)?

My first thought it that those tests are worthless. They give false positive and false negative results all the time. My second thought is I wouldn't trust the oats being GF anyways.

My first thought it that those tests are worthless. They give false positive and false negative results all the time. My second thought is I wouldn't trust the oats being GF anyways.

Both true, although it could possibly make a big difference if you bought a whole bag. At least then you dont get cross-contamination post packaging.

i'll check the oats, i dont have anymore test kits. ive found they work pretty well in general for what ive tested, but i have heard of false positives/negatives as well. they have examples of the barley test result examples as well as many common other food items now on their website.

its pretty hard to know when you get things that are cross contaminated, like the sorghum extract, its hard to be sure its not ok, although its less likely than oats or even maltodextrin-usually from corn but could be cross contaminated too. its pretty frustrating. im not sure if you should dump the whole batch or give it a try as i not real sensitive....

Yeah, I wish I knew of a better place to buy rice hulls than the LHBS too. You have to draw the line somewhere on the the cross contaminating issues and take a chance. For me, that line doesn't include these oats. Of course, I'm not on the gf diet and I brew the beer for someone else, which make me more cautious. If you're the gluten free person, then it's your call to take that chance. Maybe it won't affect you. Maybe you'll try one and decide you shouldn't finish the rest. I wouldn't dump it. Give it to someone that has no problem with gluten or someone that is trying to be gluten free, but doesn't really have a problem with it.

Back