11 gallon batches with 1 burner Possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njnear76

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of upgrading to 10 gallon batches. I'm a batch sparger and I sparge twice. I only have one burner.

I'm a little concerned about moving the 8 gallons of wort to the burner (prior to collecting the second runnings) since the new pot is 20lb heavier than the old one. I'm guessing the combined weight would be 108lb.

So how do you guys handle this situation? Do you have a second burner or do you just suck it up?

I have done 11g batches with only one burner for the last 6 months (only difference is that I batch sparge).

All you have to do is collect the first runnings in a bucket. Once the "HLT" is empty, I move the burner and pot to the floor where it becomes my "BK." I pour the collected wort that's in the buckets into the BK and I'm good to go.

I have done 11g batches with only one burner for the last 6 months (only difference is that I batch sparge).

All you have to do is the first runnings in a bucket. Once the "HLT" is empty, I move the burner and pot to the floor where it becomes my "BK." I pour the collected wort that's in the buckets into the BK and I'm good to go.

Good idea. I guess I was worried about aerating the wort, but I guess the damage might be minimal. Then again, I also pour 167F water into my mash tun. Shrug.

Aerating the wort is not a problem at this point. I collect my first runnings in two buckets. As I batch sparge, I pour the first runnings into my kettle. Same process for the sparge collection.

However you do it, make sure you think safety. Any time you're physically moving that volume of hot liquid you cant take safety for granted. Heat proof gloves and waterproof hiking boots are an essential part of the brewing day for me.

I second that. I always wear flip flops while brewing and carrying 170+ water in buckets. Only hit my feet twice and that was just a tiny bit. But it's really hot :D

One thing when you start working with 12-13 gallons of hot wort and you need to move your brew kettle, you need a kettle with handles that are designed to deal with the weight. Lots of kettles have handles that are not rated for full use.

I highly recommend using a Keggle for your 10 gallon batches. It has plenty of room and the handles are built in. Just follow the other safety precautions such as gloves, boots, etc. Steel toe boots are even better.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I will need to get some cinder blocks to elevate my SQ14. I usually siphon through a nylon bag, but I currently have to move my pot to do it.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I will need to get some cinder blocks to elevate my SQ14. I usually siphon through a nylon bag, but I currently have to move my pot to do it.

I used to sit my SQ-14 on top of an old table.

Use what you have on hand. You don't have to go find cinder blocks if they're not readily available.

I just brewed a batch of beer which gave me 13 gallons in the fermenter using just one burner and one pot. I used the brew in a bag method. It costs me around $45 for everything that needed. I already had a 20 gallon pot, anything smaller would not work for such a large batch.

So I'm thinking of upgrading to 10 gallon batches. I'm a batch sparger and I sparge twice. I only have one burner.

I'm a little concerned about moving the 8 gallons of wort to the burner (prior to collecting the second runnings) since the new pot is 20lb heavier than the old one. I'm guessing the combined weight would be 108lb.

So how do you guys handle this situation? Do you have a second burner or do you just suck it up?

I do 10 gal batches and before I built an electric HLT (Pol clone) I mashed in the kitchen and boiled in the garage on a propane burner so technically I used 2 burners.

I used a 5 gal pot in the kitchen and a 15 gal kettle in the garage. I batch sparge and adjusted the amount of strike water to have 2 separate 4 gal sparges and end up with 13.5 gal in the kettle.

Since I was using a 5 gal pot it would take 2 iterations of water heating to come up with the 8+ gals needed for strike water quantity.

I would drain my mash tun into a 5 gal bucket and carry it to the garage to dump into the kettle then cover the kettle with the lid. The initial draining of the MLT would take 2 trips as it yielded around 5 1/2 gal. I have (4) 5 gal buckets so I started nesting 2 of them when draining the mash tun. I became worried the hot wort was weakening the bucket bottom seam and didn't want it giving way while carrying to the garage. I would light the propane burner after the first sparge.

I am so glad I have a HLT with effective 9 gal capacity + HERMS coil. I still heat the strike water in the kettle and pump to the mash tun but using a bigger kettle allows me to do it in one shot. My wife is happy I'm out of the kitchen!

Back