weihenstephaner hefe funky smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjjohnson

Reaction score
Anyone have any off smells to the finished beer with this wyeast weihenstephan yeast? I just brewed a hefe, fermented at 70-72 degrees. My beer has a funky smell. Almost sulfur/rotten eggy smell. I took a sample in to the my local brew shop. The guy said he couldnt notice it, banna and clove didnt really come out as much as I wanted it to. Just wanted to know if it just needs to age some more or has anyone else had not so great beer with this yeast. Thanks all!!!

i've been drinking a Hefe that has been in the bottle for about 4 weeks now. no funky, sulfur, rotten egg smell mostly banana, fruity, a lil bubblegum & a hint of clove. that's pretty much what i was going for. i drank a bottle each week to check carb level & never noticed any off aromas. this is the first time i used Weihenstephaner yeast so my experience is limited. i fermented in the primary for 2 weeks @ 68-70 then bottled. the bottles were kept around 68 for 3 weeks and are at the carb level that i like. now they have been in the fridge for the last week. i used the yeast cake for a Weizenbock Rye that has been in the primary for 4 weeks. i did a gravity reading today & it smells really nice, again no off aromas. i'm gonna bottle it tomorrow.

I use Weihenstephaner 3068 for my Hefewiezens. The smell you refer to has only showed up on one occasion. Unfortunately it didn't go away.

Well I think I'm going to add a fruit flavor, maybe even some lemon and orange zest. It taste fine, its just the smell is not all that great.

I made a batch with White labs version WLP 300. 60/40 white wheat/ pils, OG 1.045. Pitched at 65, fermented at room temp 68-70. Totally smelled like banana while fermenting, which was what I was going for. :ban: No sulfer

3 weeks in primary, kegged for 6 weeks, and is still a total phenolic bomb. :drunk: very little clove, and no banana Actually, to the point I am probably going to dump it for the fridge space.

I made a batch with White labs version WLP 300. 60/40 white wheat/ pils, OG 1.045. Pitched at 65, fermented at room temp 68-70. Totally smelled like banana while fermenting, which was what I was going for. :ban: No sulfer

3 weeks in primary, kegged for 6 weeks, and is still a total phenolic bomb. :drunk: very little clove, and no banana Actually, to the point I am probably going to dump it for the fridge space.

AFAIK the phenolic is the clove. The banana is the esters.

My Hefe tasted like a rubber inner-tube left out in the hot summer sun when it first carbed up in bottles. I thought about dumping it. About a week later I tried another one and it was the best damn hefe I've had in years.

Give it some time and I think a lot of those smells will go away. Try serving at different temperatures too. My hefe is very vibrant with smells and tastes at 58F (sometimes I drink them right from the cellar) but mutes down a LOT at 43F.

Back