cleaning better bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
hello I was just wondering if there is any product that I could find at the local walmart or winn dixie store that will clean my better bottles out without damaging them or leaving off flavors in my next batch of beer? After 10 or so uses now they are getting a little hazy with hop and yeast residue that i can't get removed. thanks for any info.

1) Add a scoop of oxyclean
2) Fill up with water
3) Wait several days
4) Rinse

Seriously, it's that easy. The oxyclean will disintegrate all the organic material in a few days. Just let it do the work for you.

Just a couple things to add.
Use oxyclean free
If you're in a hurry just fill it up part way and shake the crap out of it. If that doesn't get rid of everything put a washcloth in the mix and shake again. I've cleaned all of mine this way and it's done in under 10 minutes.

If you're in a hurry just fill it up part way and shake the crap out of it. If that doesn't get rid of everything put a washcloth in the mix and shake again. I've cleaned all of mine this way and it's done in under 10 minutes.

That's what I used to do but one time I spent half an hour trying to shake a wash cloth around to get rid of a particularly persistent krausen ring. My arms got tired so I gave up, filled it with oxyclean solution and walked away. Two days later the krausen ring had disintegrated. Not a good solution if you're in a hurry but much less effort.

That's what I used to do but one time I spent half an hour trying to shake a wash cloth around to get rid of a particularly persistent krausen ring. My arms got tired so I gave up, filled it with oxyclean solution and walked away. Two days later the krausen ring had disintegrated. Not a good solution if you're in a hurry but much less effort.

I need to start doing it your way but for some reason I'm always in a hurry when I need one. Mostly my planning just needs some work.

I have had good luck with warm water, sanitizer and vigorous shaking in every direction immediately after racking or bottling (takes 3-5 cycles of this over 5-10 minutes)....I think if you were to wait a day or so, it would probably be more difficult because things get dried on, so do it before you call it a night and be done with it. If you don't need it right away, a good soaking in the solution would be best, as others have suggested.

Instead of OxiClean Free you can also use the Sun Oxygen Cleaner they sell in dollar stores. It is just sodium percarbonate (the active ingredient) and sodium carbonate (which they mix with hydrogen peroxide to make the sodium percarbonate and is also what is left in the water after the oxygen escapes).

OxiClean is also just a sodium percarbonate cleaner, and Sun is much cheaper than OxiClean. I got 6 pounds for $5.

I found that PBW works better on my BB than Oxyclean, and rinses cleaner in my hard water.

why oxiclean or oxiclean free? Curious?

I compared the oxiclean free & oxiclean orginal and I see same ingredients....

The only one that was different was some sort of smell good version of oxiclean which I knew was bad idea.

I also compared the sun stuff and it was pretty much the same stuff as oxiclean orginal.....I went will real version
just incase but think I'll move to the cheaper stuff as soon as I find a store that has one with out the smell fresh scent added.

Back