Coffee additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How do you do them? primary? secondary? boil? ground? not ground?

i did it ground in the boil, and the main out come of that was after an hour i gave up on my chiller, and loaded hot wort into the carboy! stupid coffee grounds!

I would avoid boiling the coffee

Brewing it releases tanic acid

I cold steep about 1/4 cup of fine gound coffee in a 1 qt mason jar seal it and place in the back of the fridge for 4-5 days and add it in a secondary and let it mingle for about a week

-Jason

I added 1/2 lb coarsely ground to the secondary, i think it was about 10 days. In my notes i would go a little lighter on the coffee next time

+1 on the cold steeping method. After steeping in the fridge for a few days, strain out the coffee grounds and add to secondary.

Thats true. Since I keg, I have the luxury of being able to "dry coffee" in a hop sack straight in the keg. If any coffee gets out of the bag, it will get sucked out in the first two pints after its been chilling for a week.

Thats true. Since I keg, I have the luxury of being able to "dry coffee" in a hop sack straight in the keg. If any coffee gets out of the bag, it will get sucked out in the first two pints after its been chilling for a week.

wow that would be bothersome, a mouth full of grounds while trying to enjoy a brew,

But I perfered the method I posted because I am given a chance to taste the mix before I add it in,

I also used that same method to figure out how much to add, I added it in to a simple stout by the 1/2 tsp

-Jason

Back