Vorlauf takes a while to run clear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler I use for a MLT with a false bottom. I swear it takes me 15 quarts to get the running somewhat clear, is this normal? For me it seems like the double batch sparge method takes forever because of varloufing 3 separate times. Am I maybe being to anal about how clear the running are?

Yes it does take longer but it was designed to not get stuck. I find that 10 to 12 gallon batches are easy to run clear because there is so much more grain. I have never had a stuck mash even with a fine crush and 60% wheat and so I am happy with that.

Have a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler with a stainless braid manifold. It takes about 2 quarts to get clear wort when batch sparging. The same goes for when I use my 70 qt. Coleman Extreme.

That seems like an awful lot. I have a 28 quart coleman cooler with a copper manifold and I only have to vorlauf a couple of times. but this is probably the step I worry about the least in my process.

How clear are you expecting it to be?

Do let the grain bed to settle before you start lautering? I usualy give it 20min of undisturbed rest.

I may try switching to a SS braid, so far the false bottom hasn't impressed me. Every time I see some grain sneak by, especially at the end of my runnings.

It's a fact of life with a false bottom but not with a braid. The thing that annoys me is that I'll have the bed all set and wort running clear and if you tweak the speed of the runoff, more grain gets dislodged.

It's a fact of life with a false bottom but not with a braid. The thing that annoys me is that I'll have the bed all set and wort running clear and if you tweak the speed of the runoff, more grain gets dislodged.

I have used a false bottom and braid and still have both and when I want to use the false bottom it is usually when I am trying not to have a stuck sparge when making a large grain bill and especially when using a lot of wheat. I do not have to use rice hulls and have not got a stuck mash yet. I think that when you have a false bottom it must fit the mash-tun well so there are no gaps and when you recirculate you do it at a medium flow. It does take slightly more time to set the mash but once you get it you can finish your sparge all at one time (modified fly or fly) without any problem with sediment sneaking through. If you batch sparge then it does take more time and I think for that a braid is better in that it sets the mash faster for a clean runoff. Because braid has smaller openings it is more susceptible to getting a stuck mash and rice hulls keeps the filter looser and prevents getting stuck. For smaller batches the braid is superior to the false bottom for ease of use. I really do not think you can make the statement that either is better than the other because each has it's advantages and disadvantages. I hope this will help to stop the argument. I use both sometimes for really big batches that will fill my 27 gallon Blichmann conical fermenter because it is the easiest way to hold mash temperature when mashing a large grain bill.

Back