1st Batch Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkrecky

Reaction score
Made my first batch over a week ago and pitched my dry yeast. I was really worried when nothing was ever happening in my bucket. I decided to just wait it. But after the Super Bowl last night I decided it was time to open the bucket and see if anything was happening. I took a hydrometer reading and it was the same as when I put it in. So I was correct that nothing had been going on! DAMN. My question is what do I do now is my fresh pressed cider ruined? Can I try pitching new yeast. Do I rack it into another container and try again.

Made my first batch over a week ago and pitched my dry yeast. I was really worried when nothing was ever happening in my bucket. I decided to just wait it. But after the Super Bowl last night I decided it was time to open the bucket and see if anything was happening. I took a hydrometer reading and it was the same as when I put it in. So I was correct that nothing had been going on! DAMN. My question is what do I do now is my fresh pressed cider ruined? Can I try pitching new yeast. Do I rack it into another container and try again.

Close it up tight. Get more yeast in there asap. One of the reasons we usually pitch the ammounts of yeast that we do is so that they dominate the environment. You may have a small ammount of wild yeast starting to grow in there, but if you get a fresh packet of brewers yeast in the cider, it should take over. Good luck!

Im having the same issue but I used target brand cider checked the label no sorbate. I also used a dry yeast and after 24 after no activity I pitched an ale yeast still nothing. Anything work for you??

Im having the same issue but I used target brand cider checked the label no sorbate. I also used a dry yeast and after 24 after no activity I pitched an ale yeast still nothing. Anything work for you??

Drizzle, did the ingredients have anything else that might inhibit fermentation?

I'm going to throw in some new yeast tonight. I used orchard pressed cider so like Slayer said I may have some wild yeast going on in there. I also added nutrients and peptic enzyme to make it clear. Im not sure if that had anything to do with it either?

I'm going to throw in some new yeast tonight. I used orchard pressed cider so like Slayer said I may have some wild yeast going on in there. I also added nutrients and peptic enzyme to make it clear. Im not sure if that had anything to do with it either?

Most folks add pectic about 24 hrs before pitching yeast. But it shouldn't be a big deal if you added them all at the same time. Did you?

is it possible to over mix? the yeast? also i just pitched the dry yeast in i didn't make a starter.

I read the labels it was pasteurized apple cider ascorbic acid and malic acid but I read that was ok im still stuck

I had a batch that took a day or so to start. I added another pack of yeast (thinking i killed the first pack somehow). I also wrapped a heating pad around the carboy and held it with a belt. I turned it on low and let it warm it up a bit. The next morning the airlock was going nuts so i removed the heating pad and left the yeasty minions to their work.

I had a batch that took a day or so to start. I added another pack of yeast (thinking i killed the first pack somehow). I also wrapped a heating pad around the carboy and held it with a belt. I turned it on low and let it warm it up a bit. The next morning the airlock was going nuts so i removed the heating pad and left the yeasty minions to their work.

What type of yeast did you use some yeast take a few days to cone around...this is just a figure reference thing...I use a lot of ale yeast in my ciders. Some times d-47

Ok so I re-pitched last Tuesday night. Then left for a ski trip and just got home last night the airlock wasn't doing much. It could have had activity when I was gone. The room is approx 65. Should I open and test or wait? What could be killing the yeast if it is again dead?

I'd say test it. If you still don't have a drop in gravity, then never buy that brand of juice again, they probally have a preservative in there and didn't put it on the label.

But hopefully your ferment is done!

Slayer, I plan on testing tonight but could ferment of 1.07 juice really be done in 6 days?

Here is the cider that I bought it was from a local orchard in Des Moines. http://www.iowaorchard.com/appleciderandspices.html

Do you think that they add something to the juice that kills all yeast so that they can sell "Fresh" cider all winter?

Slayer, I plan on testing tonight but could ferment of 1.07 juice really be done in 6 days?

Here is the cider that I bought it was from a local orchard in Des Moines. http://www.iowaorchard.com/appleciderandspices.html

Do you think that they add something to the juice that kills all yeast so that they can sell "Fresh" cider all winter?

Sodium Benzonate.

I've been racking my brain to remember that chemicals name. I had to flip through the old threads to find it. This chemical could be the source of the problem.

But to answer your first question, sure! A 1.070 gravity can get chewed through with a high temp, or a large pitch of yeast and enough nutrient. Like I said before, hopefully that's what has happened!

Sodium Benzonate.

I've been racking my brain to remember that chemicals name. I had to flip through the old threads to find it. This chemical could be the source of the problem.

But to answer your first question, sure! A 1.070 gravity can get chewed through with a high temp, or a large pitch of yeast and enough nutrient. Like I said before, hopefully that's what has happened!

I recently did a batch that was hard to start. Then i looked at the label again "potassium sorbate"!! I got it to ferment just have to add enough sugars to over come it. Not about Sodium Benzonate

Ok so I just pulled the jugs out of the recycle bin and sure enough!

Contains less than 0.1% potassium sorbate! What do I do now? I added some brown sugar at initial pitching of the yeast almost 2 weeks ago. My OG right now is just under 1.07 how much more sugar should I add? I racked it into another car boy. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Ok so I just pulled the jugs out of the recycle bin and sure enough!

Contains less than 0.1% potassium sorbate! What do I do now? I added some brown sugar at initial pitching of the yeast almost 2 weeks ago. My OG right now is just under 1.07 how much more sugar should I add? I racked it into another car boy. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Well, at least the mystery is solved!

Sorbate inhibits yeast reproduction, and never goes away, BUT existing yeast still will ferment sugars until they die. So either thinning the batch to dilute the sorbate OR pitching a huge starter that will never multiply would be my plans of attack.

Ok so what about this idea, I sanitize my original bucket. Then move the cider back into the bucket. Then sanitize and clean my carboy. After doing this I buy 5 gallons of 100% apple juice and make sure I get the right stuff this time. I use this to make a "huge" starter like you suggested. After some time.... You tell me, I then use another bucket or carboy and use my starter on the cider that has the sorbate in it. This way not only am I using a large starter yeast I'm also diluting my original. As an end result I now have 10 gallons and both should be fermented to some extent. Thoughts?

Ooohhh. Someone might accuse you of thinking! :)

I think it might work, but do you have a container big enough to handle the ten gallons?

No I have 2 5 gallon carboys a 6.5 gallon bucket and a bottling bucket. My plan was to make my " starter" in the bucket. Then rack off and split the original sorbate cider into the 2 carboys then add half of the starter to each. Only draw back is when I go to secondary I'm gonna be doing some extra moving which scares me a bit with aeration.

No I have 2 5 gallon carboys a 6.5 gallon bucket and a bottling bucket. My plan was to make my " starter" in the bucket. Then rack off and split the original sorbate cider into the 2 carboys then add half of the starter to each. Only draw back is when I go to secondary I'm gonna be doing some extra moving which scares me a bit with aeration.

Ok, I can see that. Good plan. I hope this works foryou. If it does, it's going to be one awesome brew story!

Back