sizing element for 120V 2.5 gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I just got a dedicated 120V 20A source installed in the kitchen, which was the biggest I could go in my rental. I am looking to do 2.5 gal eBIAB recirculating batches and was wondering if someone could give me some advice on element size. Currently I have a 1500W HWD element installed and last night a test run of 4 gal would get a rocking boil with lid on, but with the lid removed it would settle down to a light simmer. Since I have a 20A service with nothing else on the line, I could go up to 2000W (16.7A) which would more than likely give me a super strong boil. The problem I face is I am planning on making a recirculating set up with PID and pump which will all pull amps as well so I would be pushing 20A with everything running and that would exceed the 80% limit for continuous load. The next best option is a 1650W element which will keep me under my 80% limit but only gives me an extra 150W. Does any one known if the extra 150W will give me a strong boil with the lid off? I am not sure how much extra heat 150W really is.

As a side note I have a gas stove so helping the boil along with gas seems unsafe with the wires and rubber so close to the burner. I have also wrapped the pot in one layer of reflex. Would an additional layer help?

Im running a 2000 lwd elment in mine along with a sun pump and I have not had any issues running them off the same circuit. I also ran the 1650 and the boil seemed too weak for my liking.

My understanding is that a continuous load is defined as a load where the maximum current will continue for 3 hours or more. Your element will cycle on and off, so this does not constitute a continuous load. If you just keep your amperage draw below 20a, I would expect you to be fine.

well it will also be used to boil so off and on for 1 hr then on for 1 hr. Still under the 3 hrs though. I have also read somewhere that the 80% only applies to circuits with multiple outlets but I am not positive on that

well it will also be used to boil so off and on for 1 hr then on for 1 hr. Still under the 3 hrs though. I have also read somewhere that the 80% only applies to circuits with multiple outlets but I am not positive on that

Only on for an hour if you boil at 100%, but fine regardless.

Latest posts

Back