So what is your house beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cant seem to brew the same thing twice; every time I try I always change the recipe to something I havent done before. I do seem to have some kind of IPA around, and every year I do a different take on my flagship Chocolate Coffee Stout.

Some kind of pale ale

Pale malt
Crystal 60
Wheat

Whatever hops I have in freezer

Well, to be perfectly honest, the most consistently available beer on hand here is PBR. This is Milwaukee, my FIL loves it, and we are all old enough to have been drinking this stuff from way before it was hipster chic or whatever. So PBR it is. Drinking one right now, in fact.

brewed an ahs texas blonde a few months ago with kolsch yeast, dryhopped with an ounce of cascade, slapped an orange & white label on it & called it 'texas fight'.

two bottles left, gotta get back on it. good stuff.

Sam's Cream Ale. It's just the best easy drinker we make. I am so picky with my APAs and IPA's I haven't gotten one to a point I would have it on tap all the time. When I do though, it'll be those two side by side.

I like to try and always have some black butte clone on tap.
I am going to try and improve on it a bit though, without just coming up with Deschutes obsidian stout.

my scottish 80. appeals (surprisingly in a lot of cases) to just about everybody, regardless of what style they claim to like.

My wife drinks Miller Lite, so that's always available. Usually, I'll have a few of my beers in the fridge and a few commercial beers. There's a bunch of PBR in there right now.

For me it's always an APA with the same grain bill (I like to use honey malt in all my APA's) and I'll switch up the hop type and/or additions every time until I find the perfect combination. Currently going with a Falconer's Flight single hop APA.

Biermuncher's "Cream of Three Crops" Cream ale (4.5% abv) or my Pale Ale (Pale Malt, C-60, Nugget and Cascade hops with Notty or US-05 yeast) clean, crisp and perfect for a summer day or a winter night.

Saison of some sort, although with only two bottles of the last batch left and the next couple still bottle conditioning, I might be saisonless for a a couple weeks. Well, homebrew saisonless...

My house IPA (or reasonable facsimile) is always on tap. Other taps rotate, but I always have an APA or amber, an IPA, and a "other". Right now, the "other" is a stout.

Back in college, I was able to get copious amounts of free La Crosse Lager, which is the REAL Heileman's Old Style. I had two friends who worked at the City Brewery, which used to be the G. Heileman Brewery, and their boss would instruct them to take the expired beer. It was still good - it wasn't spoiled, or anything - and it was free. Since I moved back to Madison, it has been an unpredictable journey. I expect my homebrewing to reduce the variety substantially.

My own super citrusy American IPA. If I'm out then Firestone Union Jack which is what I modeled it after.

HopSpunge house ale

12 lb. 2-row
1 lb. Crystal 20°
1 lb. Flaked oats

2 oz. Left over hops @ 60
2 oz. Usually different hops @ 30
2 oz. Cascade @ 10

Wlp008

Good stuff. I feel bad though because I didn't have any ready for secret santa(oh poop). I need bigger kettles.....

People really make the exact same stuff over and over? My "house beer" is what is on the tap...It changes when a keg blows...lol.

I am a very seasonal beer drinker. I tend to drink stouts, porters and winter ales/lagers in the winter and wheats, pale ales, and the likes in the summer. Spring and fall I tend to drink whatever moves me. So I don't really have a house beer.

my scottish 80. appeals (surprisingly in a lot of cases) to just about everybody, regardless of what style they claim to like.

I have had the same experience... A lot of my BMC-loving friends who "don't like that dark beer", are all over the 80/ when it appears, for some reason.

I have a few "house" beers, and that 80 is one of 'em. Two others would be a nut brown I found in Beer Captured, and a "Copper Ale" recipe from an old issue of BYO.. both of these are also malty, dark, and popular with people who don't like dark, heavy beers.

There are a lot of other styles I'll make, but medium to strong malty brown ales seem to be my thing lately.

At least a few of most of the beers Ive ever made are still in my basement. I pull a few when I want to have them. I dont like to drink something over and over really,and I rarely ever have more than one of something ever. However I will brew a recipe again,if it stands out but I havent even begun to get that far,there are too many styles/combos to play with. The thought of kegging kinda is out of the question because of the redundecy for me.Although Im thinking of getting a small 2.5-3 gallon keg, I just hope you can keep those around for as much as I would want to pull one,my pipeline is too full as well as my constant evolving rotation of craft beer in my beer fridge. The keg would be a nice new additon to the fridge though,and am making bigger BIAB/stovetop batches-now. And it would give me more of an excuse to continue drinking more beer than I orgionally intended to drink-something Im trying to moderate better which would make it harder to moderate a live keg looking at me saying"pour me". Good beer just tastes too damn good,damn beer!

I think I kinda got this Jack of many styles thing going on-and not the master of one. Although Im generally more of a pale ale/ ipa guy and tend to fall back on those often to brew. Consistant small batch brewing-kinda did that to me. I do have those ocassional sumpin sumpin ones,like alot of people probably have,when they know they have it going on. I think I have matured with my personally honest criticisim with each beer also,knowing not every one is great and comparing them to craft beer,and entering into competitions really helps too.

The thought of kegging kinda is out of the question because of the redundecy for me.Although Im thinking of getting a small 2.5-3 gallon kegQUOTE]

I feel the same way, which is why I plan on building a 6 tap keezer.

Even with a 5-tap keezer, I don't manage to keep any particular thing on at any given time.

I do try to always have something hoppy, but that could be a pretty wide range of APA/IPA/DIPA beers, so I wouldn't call any of them "house beers".

I almost always have an ESB on tap along with a cream ale. SWMBO's family grew up drinking Genesee, frequently visit, and can't believe that a cream ale can taste this good.

I almost always have an ESB on tap along with a cream ale. SWMBO's family grew up drinking Genesee, frequently visit, and can't believe that a cream ale can taste this good.

Apparently Little Kings is fancy now, or at least freaking expensive. I've started seeing 8 packs again, can't remember what they cost when I was a kid, but they're $8 around here.

Back