Aeration requirements for yeast/bacteria blends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zendog

Reaction score
Couldn't find any discussions or articles relating to this. I will be making my first sour (Flander's Red) using WLP665 (similar to Wyeast roseleare) and will be pitching 1 vial for primary. My target OG will be 1055. Since 665 includes saccharomyces, it seems like a little oxygen is needed for primary fermentation. For normal beers I use pure O2. My options seem to be:

1. No O2
2. 1/2 the amount of O2 that I would normally use
3. Full amount of O2 I normally use

What is the consensus?

I would aerate as usual since the sacch is going to be the first in line to munch on the sugars.

Aerate well. Maybe not go over-board, but you do want the sacc to do it's normal job.

If the blend has pedio then I wouldn't aerate it. Any off flavors produced from stressed yeast will be turned into other compounds by the Brett.

OK. White Labs responded to an email with my same question posted here. They say normal aeration, so based on the majority, I'll just do that.

Back