Temp time line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abarhan

Reaction score
I have a fermentation chamber and have a few questions on temperature during different stages.

On Ales, I have the temp set to the middle of the temp range for that yeast during active fermentation.

After fermentation slows should I bring temp to the top of the range or just leave it?

How long/gradual should I cold crash it after active fermentation?

Is it better to condition warmer and then cold crash or vice versa?

I have one chamber and a keezer, can I warm a lager up for a week or so while a ale is in primary, any ill effects?

Thanks and pre apologize if this has been answered, searched for a while and dint catch any answers.

What "I" do..
I tend to go toward the low side of the recommended temp US-05 and S-04>>around 62...
To ward off ... Off flavors.. Now after 2 days "After" the krausen has falling.
I take it out ferm/cham. And put it out on table that's 68 air temp.. to finish it off..3 weeks
Then cold crash>>> 2 days.....Then keg

Yea that's what I have been doing for the most part. I just bump it up a few degrees and then drop it 2-3 degrees a day till its close to 35 degrees for a week or two or until I have keg space. Should I be cold crashing then raiseing it up to condition before tapping? I know that conditioning happens faster at room temp and the crash is supposed to drop yeast out, but does it hurt to leave it at 40ish for a few week vs. room temp?

Back