Almost a Newbie !!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winefarmer

Reaction score
A good friend of mine has been brewing for about 10 years and this year I visited him while on vacation in Michigan which I only get to do about every 3 years,it was perfect timming he had just bottled 30 gallons of home brew!!!
10 gallons of Strawberry
10 gallons of Riesling
10 gallons of Gewurtztraiminer
His local brew shop has 1 gallon concentrates that he uses most of the time.After sampling all 3 many times in 4 days I had him take me to his brew shop and hook me up with every thing I needed to get started So I am 2 weeks in on 5 gallons of White Zinfandel (wifes preference) from the 1 gallon of concentrate from my buds brew shop,it comes with detail instructions and a acid blend so pretty much a wine kit,so now I am brewing and start doing research and find this site and Jack Kellers site and both are a wealth of info,so now I really have the fever and decide to try a couple of 1 gallon brews so I decided to do Yoops grape juice wine (thanks yooper you have been a lot of help by just reading some of your post)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Wine yeast
Batch Size (Gallons): 1
Original Gravity: 1.095
Final Gravity: .996
Boiling Time (Minutes): 0.0
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30
Additional Fermentation: Rack until clear
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30

Welch's Frozen Grape Juice Wine
2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast

Edit- note! You may want to skip the acid blend, at least at first, as some results say this wine is too "tart".

Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make one gallon and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover with napkin. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.

I skiped the acid blend, also did the same recipe whith welchs frozen Apple juice.So I have 7 gallons brewing now not a bad start for just starting out!!!

Now heres the deal my next door neighbor passed away about 3 years ago and he has 2 gorgues Grape Vines and I was working in my garden 2 days ago just acroos the fence from my neighbor and (Jerrys widow) came out and was picking the concord grapes to make jelly with and we got to a talking and the other vine is some kind of white wine grape!!! and she has no plan to do anything with them!!! and said I could have them all!!! So got to picking and was hoping to get enough to make a gallon of fresh grape wine,well day and a half later my wife and I have picked them and destemed them and I ended up with 80 pounds of Grapes!!!!
So we squeezed the juice out of 35 pounds of the grapes using the cloth bags and have just over 3 gallons of juice and going to do this batch with Jack Kellers unknown grape recipe becuse my neighbor has no idea what kind of grapes they are.

Unknown Backyard Grape Wine

•7-1/2 pts grape juice
•granulated sugar to raise the specific gravity to 1.095
•1 tsp pectic enzyme
•1 finely crushed and dissolved Campden tablet
•1 tsp yeast nutrient
•1 sachet Red Star Montrachet or Premier Curvee wine yeast

Check specific gravity of juice and adjust to 1.088 by adding sugar (if too low) or water (if too high) or additional juice (if just right). Put juice in primary. Add Campden tablet (finely crushed and dissolved in some of the juice), cover primary with sanitized cloth, and set aside for 10-12 hours. Add pectic enzyme, recover the primary, and set aside another 8- 10 hours. Stir in yeast nutrient and add activated yeast. Recover primary. When specific gravity drops to 1.015 or lower, transfer to secondary fermentation vessel and attach airlock. Wait until all fermentation ceases and airlock is still for two weeks, then rack into clean secondary, top up and refit airlock. Wait additional 4-6 weeks and add another finely crushed and dissolved Campden tablet and 1/2 teaspoon potassium sorbate to clean secondary, rack wine onto it, top up and refit airlock. Wait 30 days, sweeten to taste, and bottle. Wait two months before tasting. [Author's own recipe.]

SO HOW AM I DOING SO FAR ???
Now my question is I am open for suggestions on what to make with my other 45 pounds of grapes that I have in the freezer, Going to do 1 gallon batchs of some differant recipes just not sure what ones to try out.
Thanks for reading and any comments or suggestions on what I have going so far would be greatly apprecieatted....

Winefarmer said:
A good friend of mine has been brewing for about 10 years and this year I visited him while on vacation in Michigan which I only get to do about every 3 years,it was perfect timming he had just bottled 30 gallons of home brew!!!
10 gallons of Strawberry
10 gallons of Riesling
10 gallons of Gewurtztraiminer
His local brew shop has 1 gallon concentrates that he uses most of the time.After sampling all 3 many times in 4 days I had him take me to his brew shop and hook me up with every thing I needed to get started So I am 2 weeks in on 5 gallons of White Zinfandel (wifes preference) from the 1 gallon of concentrate from my buds brew shop,it comes with detail instructions and a acid blend so pretty much a wine kit,so now I am brewing and start doing research and find this site and Jack Kellers site and both are a wealth of info,so now I really have the fever and decide to try a couple of 1 gallon brews so I decided to do Yoops grape juice wine (thanks yooper you have been a lot of help by just reading some of your post)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Wine yeast
Batch Size (Gallons): 1
Original Gravity: 1.095
Final Gravity: .996
Boiling Time (Minutes): 0.0
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30
Additional Fermentation: Rack until clear
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30

Welch's Frozen Grape Juice Wine
2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast

Edit- note! You may want to skip the acid blend, at least at first, as some results say this wine is too "tart".

Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make one gallon and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover with napkin. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.

I skiped the acid blend, also did the same recipe whith welchs frozen Apple juice.So I have 7 gallons brewing now not a bad start for just starting out!!!

Now heres the deal my next door neighbor passed away about 3 years ago and he has 2 gorgues Grape Vines and I was working in my garden 2 days ago just acroos the fence from my neighbor and (Jerrys widow) came out and was picking the concord grapes to make jelly with and we got to a talking and the other vine is some kind of white wine grape!!! and she has no plan to do anything with them!!! and said I could have them all!!! So got to picking and was hoping to get enough to make a gallon of fresh grape wine,well day and a half later my wife and I have picked them and destemed them and I ended up with 80 pounds of Grapes!!!!
So we squeezed the juice out of 35 pounds of the grapes using the cloth bags and have just over 3 gallons of juice and going to do this batch with Jack Kellers unknown grape recipe becuse my neighbor has no idea what kind of grapes they are.

Unknown Backyard Grape Wine

•7-1/2 pts grape juice
•granulated sugar to raise the specific gravity to 1.095
•1 tsp pectic enzyme
•1 finely crushed and dissolved Campden tablet
•1 tsp yeast nutrient
•1 sachet Red Star Montrachet or Premier Curvee wine yeast

Check specific gravity of juice and adjust to 1.088 by adding sugar (if too low) or water (if too high) or additional juice (if just right). Put juice in primary. Add Campden tablet (finely crushed and dissolved in some of the juice), cover primary with sanitized cloth, and set aside for 10-12 hours. Add pectic enzyme, recover the primary, and set aside another 8- 10 hours. Stir in yeast nutrient and add activated yeast. Recover primary. When specific gravity drops to 1.015 or lower, transfer to secondary fermentation vessel and attach airlock. Wait until all fermentation ceases and airlock is still for two weeks, then rack into clean secondary, top up and refit airlock. Wait additional 4-6 weeks and add another finely crushed and dissolved Campden tablet and 1/2 teaspoon potassium sorbate to clean secondary, rack wine onto it, top up and refit airlock. Wait 30 days, sweeten to taste, and bottle. Wait two months before tasting. [Author's own recipe.]

SO HOW AM I DOING SO FAR ???
Now my question is I am open for suggestions on what to make with my other 45 pounds of grapes that I have in the freezer, Going to do 1 gallon batchs of some differant recipes just not sure what ones to try out.
Thanks for reading and any comments or suggestions on what I have going so far would be greatly apprecieatted....

I see you got the same wine infection that I did. For other recipes, this is where your creativity comes in. You can try different yeasts, different oaks (maybe not so much with white wines). You can blend with other varieties.

So experiment, keep good notes, and have fun.

Also suggest you get some books on the subject, everyone has a different opinion.

Great Morning...I, too have been bitten by the wine making bug. My first batch was Cactus/Mulberry wine. It came out so good, I have 7- 5 gallon buckets going. It turned me into a mad scientist. Most are for medicinal purposes, but I use anything and everything my yard has to offer. With all the grapes you have, you can mix and match flavors in one gallon increments. That way if things go awry, it is easier to swallow the loss, rather than if it were in larger proportions. Good luck!!!

Great Morning...I, too have been bitten by the wine making bug. My first batch was Cactus/Mulberry wine. It came out so good, I have 7- 5 gallon buckets going. It turned me into a mad scientist. Most are for medicinal purposes, but I use anything and everything my yard has to offer. With all the grapes you have, you can mix and match flavors in one gallon increments. That way if things go awry, it is easier to swallow the loss, rather than if it were in larger proportions. Good luck!!!

Just what I was thinking MzAnnie doing some one gallon experiments and see what I like the best...Thanks

Back