Coopers Irish Stout Results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demzly

Reaction score
This is my 1st ever kit, been aged for a while and I tried it for the 1st time today.

Not too bad I must say.

Has anyone ever brewed this with all male? I used Demerera sugar so its a little thin

Good stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! It looks delicious. I Still have never brewed a stout, but it's on my list for this year.

I'm assuming you meant brewed with all *malt* and not *male.* :p And by that, you mean all liquid malt extract?

I actually just watched a couple videos of this brewer, Joe, brew this same kit, and then do tasting notes. I'll link to his videos if you're interested. I subscribe to his channel too; pretty good stuff.

Here's his brew video:

This is the tasting video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi thanks, yea it was nice. Head retention was non-existant but no complaints.

Yes i mean Kit with malt (LME or DME) as opposed to sugar as i did

Not all male, that just sounds odd. Tall dark glass of all male stout :( gulp

I've brewed several Coopers stouts with all malt and an additional oz of hops boiled for 10min (cascade or willamette). Had very good success, much better than the ones I brewed and added sugar.

Cheers!

I've brewed several Coopers stouts with all malt and an additional oz of hops boiled for 10min (cascade or willamette). Had very good success, much better than the ones I brewed and added sugar.

Cheers!

I can imagine, as i say this was my 1st brew so i did not appreciate the power of malt :rockin:

I bet its a bit cheeky when you malt/hop it up!

Don't get me wrong - even a little "thin" on the body when you brew with sugar, you brewed it! And that's good!

Cheers!

Don't get me wrong - even a little "thin" on the body when you brew with sugar, you brewed it! And that's good!

Cheers!

Oh yea, Im not complaining. It tasted nice :mug:

I just want something to show off. This beer is old and was my 1st attempt so im not disheartened, better get back to work on it :tank:

I have just brewed a batch of Coopers Irish Stout. I added 800g of Brewing sugar which contained a spray malt. So far so good.... it looks, acts and smells like stout. Currently mid way through its bottling secondary fermentation/conditioning or whatever it is called. Looking forward to sampling soon.

Update....
1st batch was a success but was a wee bit thin if you know what I mean. I finished the heap as it was still very drinkable but i knew a few tweaks would be needed to the next batch.
I chose an EDME kit this time added a full kg of spray malt enhancer and a small piece of licorice (about the size of my thumbnail). I also held back the full 40 pint kit and topped it up to just 38 or so. Primed bottles with spray malt enhancer and sampled last night for the 1st. Keeps its head much much better than 1st batch and its tighter. Tastes beaut too at about 4.25 ABV

I have a batch fermenting now. I used 3# dark dme and a safale us-05 yeast. Will let you know how it turns out in about two months.

Back