Wort loss Classic CFC Vs Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binaryc0de

Torrence Brewing
Reaction score
It's moving towards summer here and with it means chilling issues (also warm ground water). I'm considering a counter-flow setup but I'm debating between a plate chiller (something like the B3-A23 20 plate from dudadiesel.com) or a normal 25 foot coil CFC. I know there are cleaning concerns with plate chillers but I feel that my current post-boil filter procedure is enough to help and I typically clean my brewing equipment quickly after use. I also have a March pump and a separate pump I use to circulate ice water through my IC. My main concern is with wort loss. I would figure that this would be a con on the side of the 25 foot coil as compared to the plate. Thoughts? My plan with either option is to recirculate back into the kettle.

I use a cfc, and to get around wort loss, like every other brewery, I pump sterile hot water through the line after the kettle is empty. I achieve this with my Rims system by cleaning my mash tun during the boil, and bringing 5 gallons of water to a boil. After the boil and xfer, I flush the rest of the beer through the line with the hot water (which is chilled by the cfc, its the same line) from the mash tun. When the xfer is complete, I have hot water to flush all my lines and clean my equipment. Although there are cleanliness issues with all plate chillers, they do take up alot less space.

I do the following:

1) Recirculate wort at near boiling temps through the chiller while the water is turned off
2) When ending the chilling, I push the remaining liquid out with either O2 or CO2. O2 is preferable but CO2 works in a pinch.
3) When completely done, I run a large amount of water under pressure through the chiller.

A lot of microbreweries & brewpubs will "pack" the chiller full of sanitizing fluid (make sure it doesn't react with the metal in the chiller). This is accomplished with a valve on each side of the chiller.

MC

I am considering purchasing a plate chiller to replace my CFC for my electric rig after it's built. Here's why:

1) CFC works good, but a plate chiller would work even better (Mine is a bit smaller than most guys..)

2) PC is smaller profile. Great for mounting right on the rig frame!

3) I can't see inside either one, but the PC is going to be mostly stainless, so less chance of corrosion due to my negligence.

4) I can put the PC in the oven and STERILIZE it after I thoroughly rinse and blow it out with air...

5) the price of a Duda PC is actually very reasonable, compared to a homebuilt CFC.

Thanks for the replies... I think I have decided to go with the Plate chiller for many of the same reasons Homercidal mentioned. Using CO2 or O2 to push the excess wort through the CFC back into the kettle is easy enough but I don't really want to add any more excess work to my brew day. Especially since I would need to buy parts (disconnects ect...) because I don't like the idea of disconnecting my kegerator every brew day.

Back