Choosing Winter Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-ost

Reaction score
I ferment in my basement which provides me with a minimally fluctuating temperature. Depending on the time of year this is good with a consistent 62-65 spring, 64-68 summer, 62-65 fall... but 55-64 winter (unless its been snowing for a while). My stick on "fermometer" says that 58-62 (pretty much where I hover at in the winter) is right between both lager and ale yeasts. My question is if there is a yeast out there "perfect" for these temps and ok if it happens to drop a bit lower? I have used S-05 which had some trouble and just pitched a WYEAST 1098 smack pack on saturday.

I would like to invest into a little bit of temp control but I really just can't right now.

On a side note but on topic, does anyone have a link to a good yeast spec site or yeast database site?

Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale! It's a work horse. High ABV tolerance, good flocculation, and a wide temp range: 55-75F. I have personally used it down to about 60F with no problems, so I would say it's a good bet. It's fairly neutral too, so you can use it for a wide variety of styles.

A Kolsch or a Cal Common yeast would work good at those lower temps, too.

im in similar situation so i asked around a bit and for now i will use us-05 for December-March i would use california lager strain

Thank you all!!

Some of these yeasts are exactly what I'm looking for. I think I will pick one or two and finally start yeast washing and propogating.

California Lager (the Anchor Steam strain), is a lager strain that likes the high 50's. Kolsch yeast would be another great option.

California Ale yeast (Chico) can do 58*, but only if the temps are stable. Drop much colder than that, and they quit working.

Back