Johnny hopseed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregpio85

Reaction score
So.... Hypothetically, let's say someone was to go around planting random hops around town and left them for a summer or two, what would happen?

Hahaha, well played. I guess I should have been more specific. Are the plants resilient enough to survive in a surburban Midwestern soil and temperature without any treatment?

I have wild hops growing all over the place here... They may not produce at peak performance, but they will definitely do just fine.

I've contemplated the same thing. Was thinking of putting them near power line poles, or the supporting wires of such. Never got around to it, i don't have enough time to harvest the crops in the backyard.

Sneak into Wrigley field and replace all the ivy with hop vines :D

On a serious note, I'd grow them on fences that doesn't see a lot of people/activity. Or find people with a lot of land if you can grow on one of their fences. Pay em in beer or maybe they'll let you do it for free.

Power poles would be nice, but I think the companies might take notice and clear em out.....that might take a couple years. Ya never know though.

I picked some wild hops at ground level that had swallowed the transformer at the top of the pole. I'd stay away from making that situation.

The power companies may clear them off the poles themselves, but probably not the support wires. I remember those things always having something growing on them when I lived in OH and upstate NY.

You'd promote genetic diversity, but with a proliferation of wild hops, you'd might help spread hop specific diseases too. (Something that the hop growers around may not appreciate.)

pheboglobi said:
You'd promote genetic diversity, but with a proliferation of wild hops, you'd might help spread hop specific diseases too. (Something that the hop growers around may not appreciate.)

great insight! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

Looks like I'll have to be a little more careful with my selection. Possibly a field that is tended carefully...

Time to call Fukudome to see if he is looking to make some cash on the side out in right field. ; )

gregpio85, I'm in Aurora IL. I've considered the same thing. "Tactically" encouraging hop growth.

I've got a lot of plants on my property, but I would love to put some more on unused land and reap the rewards at end of season. For what it's worth. My employer has Juniper surrounding the building and as long as it's on my own time- no one cares that I collect roughly 5 pounds of juniper (wet) a year. I make a great Juniper Rye and I put as much fresh juniper as I want in it- because I have 5 pounds of it. I could get more if I put more time into it. I've also done the same for Nettles. I just walk around to my known sources and collect. Except for looks of 'What's the weirdo doing?' I haven't had any issues.

gregpio85 and retrofit:

You know this is a good idea; great minds think alike. I'm in the Kankakee area and have recently been eyeing wild areas for "farming". Not only hops, because I have many interests.
Hops ain't kudzu, but I guess we should still be careful with all rhizome plants.

Most states have some sort of law against introducing invasive and/or nonnative species. I'm not sure if hops would be considered invasive or not, but it's something to consider before planting them in "wild" areas. Regards, GF.

Great input everyone. It's good to know I'm not the only one wanting to promote (sub)urban wild harvesting. I think I may end up jus arching with blackberries, grapes, and buckwheat for now until I own some land. Thanks all

Well if the IL guys want to talk more, PM me. We aren't so far apart, that we couldn't develop a tactical plan. I lack the land to support my Juniper habit, but even if I leave this job I know my employer won't care if I continue to collect. I would love to gather a collection of sources for natural grown herbs and spices to add to my beers.

Back