Keg not Carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewrican

Reaction score
So i have a keg that I have used in the past and racked a beer into it two weeks ago. I have poured a sample and it is not carbed at all.

So i have been a freak about the kegs not holding pressure, so i would hit the keg with 12 pull the gas connector off, let it sit overnight, check it in the am to see if it had pressure. It would so i would hit it with some more gas (normally the beer will absorb it a little at a time so this was normal to me), etc. until i was confident that it was not leaking.

Well it appears as though i should never be confident that it is not leaking because it sounds like it has to be or this would be carbed :drunk:

Well.. here is where I am confused. If the tank is still very full and therefore pressure to the keg at the 12 psi, then wouldnt the beer still carbonate. If the leak is slow enough to still hold pressure (even if it is not holding the entire 12 psi) then why would the beer not be at least slightly carbonated by now?

Help :drunk:

You've had the beer on the gas for two weeks, and it's not carbing up? It sounds like you've been taking the beer off of the gas.

If you leave the gas on (not taking it off) the keg for two weeks at 12 psi, it should be carbed up. It usually takes 10 days to two weeks to carb up at 12 psi at 38 degrees for me.

Should have mentioned that for a week it was on constant gas until today. I cleaned the beer lines and re hooked up the keg and still had no bubbles lol.

Should have mentioned that for a week it was on constant gas until today. I cleaned the beer lines and re hooked up the keg and still had no bubbles lol.

None at all, or just a little? It usually takes about 10 days before it starts to seem bubbly to me.

What's the temp of the fridge?

sounds like to me that hes not chilling the keg.

the colder the temp the more CO2 it absorbs...but doesnt mean go chill it at 20 degrees haha.

You folks have more patience than I do. Just crank it up to 30lbs for three days and you should be good to go. If you don't have any bubbles at that point, you have an air leak somewhere.

gently agitate the keg. It will carb unevenly (top first) if it's left still while force carbing. Don't shake it, if you gently tip it end over end one time that should be plenty to get the carbonation evened out. Or, you could just wait longer...or start drinking it until you get to the carbed part of the keg. Eventually it will even out on its own.

You could also try pulling the pressure relief (after disconnecting the gas) until all the pressure is gone and waiting a few minutes. If you pull the pressure relief again after 10 minutes and more gas comes out, then the beer has carbonation in it.

None at all, or just a little? It usually takes about 10 days before it starts to seem bubbly to me.

What's the temp of the fridge?

Im not noticing any to be honest.

What i did was hit the keg with 30 PSI to "seal the lid" (just what i read when i searched) sprayed soapy water on it to look for a leak, and then released it to bring it down and then hit it with 12 to make sure it was going to carbonate at 12 PSI.

sounds like to me that hes not chilling the keg.

It is in the kegerator at 39 degrees

You could also try pulling the pressure relief (after disconnecting the gas) until all the pressure is gone and waiting a few minutes. If you pull the pressure relief again after 10 minutes and more gas comes out, then the beer has carbonation in it.

that makes sense. i may give that a shot also

i am pretty sure that the keg is not holding pressure.

I just moved it to a keg that i hit with 12 last night. It seemed to completely hold pressure so it should be good. I may force carb this one at 30 for 3 days and then release and bring back to 12 just to speed this process up.

I also changed the lid oring and hit the previous keg with 12 to see how she does overnight.

Just as i thought there was a leak. I transferred the beer to another keg, carbed it at 30 for 1 day purged it and then hooked it back up to 12 psi to finish the rest of the carbing. It has already started getting its bubbles and i did it on sunday morning.

I have replaced the lid o-ring on the other keg and hit is with 12 psi to see if it will hold. I kinda forgot about it until now so i am not sure if it is now holding pressure or not LOL

Back