Irish Moss Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesa512

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was thinking about picking up some irish moss with my next kit. I am making a hefeweizen. Now I did some research and it says that the irish moss is added to prevent chill haze. I then did some research and looked up what chill haze was. Is irish moss safe to use with every kind of beer. Because hefeweizens are a little more cloudly I am unsure if I should use the irish moss for I fear that it will clear up the beer. What do you guys think? Thanks

Personally I think SupermossHB works better but, even it would be a waste IMO in a Hefe.

I am glad you looked into it tho', I think too many people mis-interpret what IM is meant to do and where it actually works.

Yeah, my friend made it sound so good. How do you guys feel about it in general? Should I pick it up for future ales that I will make, or is it a waste of money through your experience?

P.S. GilaMinumBeer is SupermossHB is that the same thing as Super Irish Moss?

No need for a fining agent in a hefe.

But if you're going to use one...whirfloc is my choice:

Blonde_Ale2.jpg

I've done a few batches, but last time I was as midwest supplies, I picked up 1 lb for under $9.00. Figure it'll last me .. a LONG time.

I believe it just helps clarify your beer faster. My last batch, an apple ale was clear in less than a week.

There are a lot of things the help to clarify beer though.

Yeah, my friend made it sound so good. How do you guys feel about it in general? Should I pick it up for future ales that I will make, or is it a waste of money through your experience?

P.S. GilaMinumBeer is SupermossHB is that the same thing as Super Irish Moss?

Not sure. Supermoss is a 5 Star product. It's essentially the same thing (carrageenan) but in a powdered, purified form. I like it mostly cause nothing gets left behind in the kettle. It all goes through into the fermenter wher it does the most of it's work.

I used to just give props to time but, finings definitely take less time. I use it mostly for Lagers but still add it to some ales. I never add finings to English Ales mostly because I have seen very few packaged product from across the pond that were very bright.

Back