Coffee Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedalmedic

Reaction score
Took a reading and a taste tonight. I was thrown off by how much coffee flavor/bitterness was in the 5 gallon batch. My intentions are to bottle this batch as SWMBO does not like stouts or coffee. Has anyone brewed this, it is the peace coffee from midwest extract, and will the time in the bottle help bring down the coffee bitterness. Don't get me wrong, I drink black coffee all the time, but still want to taste some beer in with it.
Found it after searching a little longer One month in the bottle took care of it. Sorry

Yeah, aging it should bring down the bitterness some. I bottle my stouts with the intention of aging them, although I think that's just my way of compensating...

I've been wanting to experiment with some coffee. How much coffee did you use, and when did you add it? Did you grind the beans? If you were referencing a recipe in your post, I wasn't able to find it.

I found this recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/mcaustins-mocha-stout-w-cold-brewed-coffee-27958/ which actually uses some cold brewed coffee.

I've been roasting my own coffee beans with great success in a hot air popcorn popper (see my blog), so I've really been wanting to mix the two.

I have always thoguht the cold coffee addition was the way to go. I have had these types of beers made this way and with soaking the grains in the boil/secondary, and by far the best tasting ones have been by using the cold coffee methods.

I put just 2oz of a chocolate-flavored coffe in my boil in the last 5 minutes, and my stout tastes like chocolate coffee with a little beer in it. I'm bottling some of it and pitching the rest. I figure I'll blend it in with some other beer if it doesn't tame down.

I've done a few sour fruit beers and this coffee beer in the last two months. I've got it about out of my system now, I'm going to make just beer for the foreseeable future. except for my orange peel wheat which is one of my house brews.

I put just 2oz of a chocolate-flavored coffe in my boil in the last 5 minutes, and my stout tastes like chocolate coffee with a little beer in it. I'm bottling some of it and pitching the rest. I figure I'll blend it in with some other beer if it doesn't tame down.

Please let us know if the flavor changes.. I am considering a similar batch.

just brewed a coffee porter. two things- i added one pint of the strongest coffee i could brew at room temp to the botteling bucket. and i would suggest using DECAF coffee. I had four 22oz's on monday night, caught a good buzz but couldn't fall asleep!!

just brewed a coffee porter. two things- i added one pint of the strongest coffee i could brew at room temp to the botteling bucket. and i would suggest using DECAF coffee. I had four 22oz's on monday night, caught a good buzz but couldn't fall asleep!!

One pint of coffee diluted with (an assumably) five gallons of beer should not be too caffeinated. I'd say your problem sleeping stemmed from consuming the equivalent of 7.3 12 oz beers. :D

Alcohol is proven to disrupt sleep patterns.

EDIT: This being a response to your first post, (1) welcome to the forum and (2) there is a lot of good natured ribbing that goes on here--so nothing personal. :mug:

I was thinking about making something coffee related today. So what is the consensus around here, which is best? I wanna do an extract batch.

This came out real good. Very happy with it. I bottled it as SWMBO does not drink coffee. it was a midwest kit

I just wanna play devil's advocate here...what about "dry hopping" with whole coffee beans in the secondary?

I've been wanting to experiment with some coffee. How much coffee did you use, and when did you add it? Did you grind the beans? If you were referencing a recipe in your post, I wasn't able to find it.

I made a coffee porter earlier this year. I used just under two pots of Wegman's mocha java (ground at home) using a normal drip coffee maker added during secondary. It came out excellent after ~3 weeks of conditioning in a bottle. But as time went on, the coffee flavor became more and more pronounced. I still like it a lot, but other people like it less now. It was originally a "wow! that is amazing!", but now people have backed off.

Next time, I'll use less coffee.

I brewed up a chocolate coffee stout recently and bottled it a week ago. I used 3 cups of cooled brewed coffee in the wort and another 1 1/2 during bottling. The coffee I used was from one of those Keurig coffee makers so it was a bit strong. I thought that should be enough to get a hint of coffee without being overbearing.

Hopefully it'll turn out ok considering it was my second batch. :)

I just wanna play devil's advocate here...what about "dry hopping" with whole coffee beans in the secondary?

Thats exactly what I do, except I grind them coarse. You want about the same grind you would use in a french press. IMO, this gives a great coffee flavor and aroma. Plus, you don't have to dilute your beer, or add any bitterness from brewed coffee.

Adding straight grounds to my secondary this weekend. I have a very sweet stout and going for some strong coffee addition. Quarter pound for 3 gallon batch. Any comments?

Adding grounds to secondary are virtually the same as cold brewing except instead of chill water its much greater liquid volume with a little ethanol. Only downside if you consider it one is that you can't easily remove the grounds

I added 6oz. of coarsly ground coffee in a muslin bag to about 3 cups of water and cold-steeped overnight, then drained off the liquid and put it in the bottling bucket at bottling. The aroma was incredible. I used some coffee from a local roaster (Madcap) that is just awesome. I think I'll be opening up a bottle tonight. I can't wait.

Grind the beans on a French Press setting and let them steep in secondary. Either that, or make cold press (same grind) and add that. Cold press helps eliminate a lot of the harshness that comes with steeping coffee in boiling water.

I added 6oz. of coarsly ground coffee in a muslin bag to about 3 cups of water and cold-steeped overnight, then drained off the liquid and put it in the bottling bucket at bottling. The aroma was incredible. I used some coffee from a local roaster (Madcap) that is just awesome. I think I'll be opening up a bottle tonight. I can't wait.

Turned out really good. The coffee aroma and flavor are perfect. This is what I'll be doing for all coffee beers in future because it worked out so well.

Here's the base recipe:

11#-Maris Otter
1#-Roasted Wheat (550 SRM)
1#-Special Roast (50 SRM)
1#-Flaked Oats
8oz.-Dingemans Special B
8oz.-Crystal 60

Single infusion mash at 152F for 60min. Batch Sparge.

1oz. Galena at 60.

Fermented with US-05.

Measured OG--1.072
Measured FG--1.018

Super smooth, sweet but not cloying. 6oz. was the perfect amount, and the base beer and coffee flavors meld perfectly. So happy about it.

Back