WTF Happened To BTV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this new video any different than the one that was one the Northern Brewer website a while back? I suppose I could just skim through it.

I specifically set enough footage aside for the two videos to be different... as explained in the set up of the BTV episode. The Northern Brewer Homebrew Video Library videos is much more in-depth about Palmer's process of all-grain brewing. This BTV episode is more about how this particular recipe came to be and what things he considered when putting it together. There is maybe about a minute and a half of overlap.

I think Chip can pull it off, if he gets the full support from NB. It's not fair to judge the future of BTV on the cider episode. The cider guy obviously doesn't like being on camera, and he doesn't have the animated personality it takes to keep an audience entertained. He may be a really cool guy, he's just not good in front of the camera. Chip on the, other hand, is good on camera. He's funny, and has a way of bringing the brewing process more down to earth. I think he just needs a co-host with whom he can have a whitty banter to go along with the brewing info. That way if the show happens go have a guest that is really smart in the brewing department, but doesn't have a very good camera presence, the two co-hosts can more easily lay down the basics, include the comic relief, etc, and just have the guest fill in the blanks where more detail and specifics are needed.

I don't know. I seem to remember Chip having some witty banter on some of his solo BTV shows. Which episode was it that he was talking to his fish in the aquarium?

I don't know. I seem to remember Chip having some witty banter on some of his solo BTV shows. Which episode was it that he was talking to his fish in the aquarium?

True. I guess I was just trying to say that it makes for a less awkward interview with someone who doesn't like being on camera, or just isn't a big talker (one word answers to every question, etc) if there are two hosts to fill in the gaps instead of trying to drag the details out of a reluctant guest. It's more like a conversation and less like an interrogation that way :)

still look forward to future BTV episodes, with or without Keeler and Dawson. There have been plenty of excellent guest hosts that have made for great episodes; Ted, Paul, Brian Adams, Jeremy King. Brewing TV is about the brewing...not the hosts. keep up the good work Chip!

I specifically set enough footage aside for the two videos to be different... as explained in the set up of the BTV episode. The Northern Brewer Homebrew Video Library videos is much more in-depth about Palmer's process of all-grain brewing. This BTV episode is more about how this particular recipe came to be and what things he considered when putting it together. There is maybe about a minute and a half of overlap.

Soooooo..... maybe I should have read the description....
Anyways, thanks for checking in there Chip. Episode was solid. Obviously different from the other video and interesting on take on the evolution of the recipe.

Kind of off topic but, does my computer just suck or has the sound been a bit off on the last few episode. I'm noticing lips moving when nothing is being spoken. Totally possible that my computer is failing, just wondering...

inhousebrew said:
Soooooo..... maybe I should have read the description....
Anyways, thanks for checking in there Chip. Episode was solid. Obviously different from the other video and interesting on take on the evolution of the recipe.

Kind of off topic but, does my computer just suck or has the sound been a bit off on the last few episode. I'm noticing lips moving when nothing is being spoken. Totally possible that my computer is failing, just wondering...

No problem with sound on my end

:off: Sorry.

But, Don rocks.

Don, your batch sparging video is the one I went to when progressing to all grain. I hit it up several times while collecting my equipment, a couple of time before my first brew day and a few more during my first few batches.

again - sorry for the off topic but I needed to say my piece.

+1
Don brought me into all grain and showed me how easy, cheap and practical it could be. Stumbled on a vid of him showing how to go all grain in a cooler and I asked a few questions via message. He responded promptly and with good detail-- to a total stranger. He's a good choice for BTV and the practical homebrewer- heck, I'd wager the majority of BTVs target audience. Mad respect.

Oh, and I'd def burn a few down + some homebrews with Don if given the opportunity lol. Just sayin...

BTV can survive with the right people and continued support of NB. I know for a fact I've spent lots of $$ based on some episodes!! Let NB know you love BTV with each order.

Ya Don rocks, would be great too see him on there some more. The Christmas beer video yesterday was great. Might have to brew that myself.

Does Don live near the BTV location? It might be a logistics issue. Idk though.

I would support it though.

Chip is great with the camera equipment, but most of all, the 3 of them (Mike, Jake, & Chip) just worked well together.
The episode "Jake's got a brand new bag" was my favorite, although I am not into BIAB, I thought it was a great episode, and got me to try new things.
Another good one was when they visited Nathan Smith and also the dogfish head brewery episode.

They will be missed, but I suppose they can be replaced.
It looks like Jake has deleted both his personal and NB twitter accounts, so if anyone finds out his new handle, please share it.

Yep, BrewingTV is one of the things that helps keep my interest in brewing up. I like the way Chip, Jake, and Michael gave out great info, but were able to do it without taking themselves too seriously. They made it fun. I agree that Chip can definitely carry the torch, but I will miss J & M. I have to think they will be popping up, somewhere. Long live the Cobra!

I am the real Chip. BTV.com is back up. Just a hiccup. Thanks for the support for real. I didn't mean to come off like a whiny pants there. I know things are different w/o Jake and Mike, but teams change quarterbacks all the time and rise to the occasion. It's ALL for Brew, not Two for Brew. I think there are plenty of great stories and brew sessions ahead. Just a different way of thinking about presenting them. I or Northern Brewer can't control Mike and Jake's decisions. I can only look ahead. Hoping to tap the huge pool of talented brewers at Northern Brewer and pick their brains about brewing for the most part. That being said - I do love camera work and editing most, but will never shy away from an opportunity to get my ugly mug on the interwebz when possible.

Chip; I remember you helping me out in the St. Paul store a while back it yourself and young lady in there working hard helping out a guy moving up in the world of brewing going from mr. beer and small batch brewing to his first larger set up. Took the time to talk to me about the different kits/recipes, that were avaliable and made a great yeast recomendation.

That all lead to a great birthday gift from the Mrs in the form a new brew kettle fermenting bucket and some other works as well as the Sierra Madre recipe kit......if you have any pull in the store would love to start seeing more of the partial mash kits.....just saying.....Graf anyone....:mug:

Chip, Dawson and Keeler were the ones who literally got me brewing. I came across an episode and got hooked. As such NB became my LHBS so to speak. Bought ALL my stuff there and have made trips to their Milwaukee store for purchases as well. That's a 4 hour round trip to buy a kit and talk to good folks.

I don't know why the 2 left but I support whatever decision they made. They are 3 guys I knew I could be friends with and not just about beer - kindred spirits so to speak. Anyway - combine the departure with the changes at NB and it's disappointing.

I'll continue to watch BTV due to Chip and Don who I just KNOW will be on some more but if NB pulls the plug on BTV, I don't see much of a reason to support them. Good people but it seems that lately they've lost their vision and direction. Dunno - maybe I'm just ranting.

Chip - you're a great host and I love your work, keep it up brother.

Seems like growing pains, which unfortunately is pretty typical. Mom and pop shops have soul. They are who they are because of the people. They usually excel in the CS dept, but more than that they know how to generate a buzz based around who they are and what they represent.
Growing the business often means going into debt and surrendering some amount of control over to someone, or a group of someones who's only interest is to maxize profit. Much of the old soul ends up going out the window, despite their intentions to capitalize on and continue a successful brand image.

I'm just reading between the lines obviously, but this is what their recent actions suggest. I'm not saying it's a necessary evil, but it certainly seems to be the norm.

Don Osborn and I live about four blocks from each other in St. Paul. He is a St. Paul Northern Brewer customer/fan from the WWWWWAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY back. He was one of my biggest influences (via YouTube and his website) when I first starting brewing in Austin, TX years ago... and continues to inspire me today. DonO Posse for Life! (Chip @ BTV)

texabamasota said:
Don Osborn and I live about four blocks from each other in St. Paul. He is a St. Paul Northern Brewer customer/fan from the WWWWWAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY back. He was one of my biggest influences (via YouTube and his website) when I first starting brewing in Austin, TX years ago... and continues to inspire me today. DonO Posse for Life! (Chip @ BTV)

That settles that, Don is the new co host. Good thing we got that behind us.

Chip, Don, keep up the good work guys! I think we're all sad to see Dawson and Keeler go, but $hit happens. Palmer on the last episode was awesome, and I'm looking forward to more BTV. Brew for all!!!

i wanna see an episode with DonO making Dandelion Wine.

I vote for Don O! Loved the lager work around episode.

I agree, I think Don's done good $hit on the show. Hell, I think it'd be a great show if it was a rotation of random knowledgable home brewers. That's what I love about BTV, seeing them do cool $hit and talk about beer/brewing.

Now, I just hope they do more than bi-weekly episodes. :) And keep doing cool things and have guests like Palmer. Can't beat stuff like that. :mug:

NordeastBrewer77 said:
I agree, I think Don's done good $hit on the show. Hell, I think it'd be a great show if it was a rotation of random knowledgable home brewers. That's what I love about BTV, seeing them do cool $hit and talk about beer/brewing.

Now, I just hope they do more than bi-weekly episodes. :) And keep doing cool things and have guests like Palmer. Can't beat stuff like that. :mug:

Couldn't agree more. See chip, you've got a bunch of stoked fans excited to see you take off with BTV.

This is pretty much the plan. Homebrewing is certainly bigger than any one of us. NB has a lot of awesome brewers in the ranks, I'm turning to them a lot. Plus, Don and Bryon Adams are certainly fun guys to brew with. Actually, BA makes an appearance in the upcoming BTV 71 "Hop Madness 2012" (posts online Nov. 2nd). Prepare yourself!

This is pretty much the plan. Homebrewing is certainly bigger than any one of us. NB has a lot of awesome brewers in the ranks, I'm turning to them a lot. Plus, Don and Bryon Adams are certainly fun guys to brew with. Actually, BA makes an appearance in the upcoming BTV 71 "Hop Madness 2012" (posts online Nov. 2nd). Prepare yourself!

OHHHHH SNAP!!!!! I'm prepared for the madness!!

I would never presume to be able to be a full time co host. But if Chip will have me back on now and then, I'd love to do it.

Good idea on the dandelion wine. I haven't made it for several years, and maybe next spring we could do an episode. It's fun, different, requires some creativity, and ends in a unique, enjoyable strong drink you can age for years.

Thanks guys.
Don

Oh sweet! Hop Madness!! Lotta that going on around here this year. Looking forward to it man! :mug:

texabamasota said:

So, chip are you mike and dawson still good friends?

Back