Trying to find a program that...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubleb

Reaction score
I'd like one that doesn't round off the amounts of grain when I enter .375 lbs (which is 6oz) it gets rounded to .38lbs. Using 1oz or 2oz of a grain (say a black patent or roasted barley) both get rounded out to .1 lb. Also the hops get rounded off too. I've tried the trial versions of beersmith and promash. I've also used breweaze. Are there any others?

You could switch to metric. :D

Seriously though I doubt you'll find one. The difference is so small that it really doesn't make any difference in a batch.

I'm mostly concerned with the 1oz, 2oz difference. I want to make a batch soon with 1oz roasted barley and 2oz black patent. I'm affraid metric would give me a headache. I've already joined the dark side, its too late for me. :D

You may seriously want to consider using grams for hops, it really is a much better measurement for small quantities.

For the grains, I have no idea, I never sweat small measures like that because really it makes no difference. Hopefully somebody that found a solution to that will help you out. :mug:

Thanks for the replies Bradsul. I'm likely not going to buy any software cause breweaze (which is free) is more exact than the others. The problem is Breweaze doesn't have a lot of malt info, so I'll have to add a lot of stuff manually.

Are you sure that the calculations are really being rounded off, or is that just how it's displaying the information on the screen?

the_bird said:
Are you sure that the calculations are really being rounded off, or is that just how it's displaying the information on the screen?

This is the situation with BeerAlchemy. 0.75 oz = 0.8oz on the screen but it is using 0.75 in the calculations (at least with the hops).

You could choose grams instead of OZ's.

Remember back to the drug dealing days:

1 oz = 16 oz's
1 pound = 454 grams
1 oz = ~28 grams

So .375 oz = 10.5 grams

Cheesefood said:
You could choose grams instead of OZ's.

Remember back to the drug dealing days:

1 oz = 16 oz's

Wow I like that, so is that like buy 1 oz get 15oz for free? I suspect you meant 1 lbs = 16 oz :)

sause said:
In beersmith there is an option to display pound & ounces on the display. It's in the Unit's tab in the option menu.

Awesome, I set the incrementer to .0625 which is 1/16. Thats what I'm talking about. Thank you sause.

Back