Can you substitute powdered sugar for dextrose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cistercian

Reaction score
Can you substitute powdered sugar for dextrose when you in a pinch and you need to bottle?

Could you try out apfelwein with powdered sugar?

Powdered sugar is not the same as dextrose.

It's cane sugar that's finely ground.

That said you should be able to use it to bottle with no issues, and I've used cane sugar in apfelwein with no problems. It's important to note however that it isn't the same ingredient, I wouldn't interchange them in a recipe without considering that.

Rather than using powdered sugar, you can use regular table sugar. It's chemically identical (sucrose), doesn't contain additives, and a lot cheaper. 0.8 lbs sucrose is equivalent to 1 lb corn sugar (dextrose), so you don't need as much.

-a.

I wanna see an internet pistol whip.

Shenanigans.

isn't that the place with the cheese sticks and all the goofy $hit on the wall?

"gimme six schlitz's...f**k it, whatever's free!"

FAVRA'S NUMBER ONE!!!

Hey Denim Dan...Where'd you get the Canadian Tuxedo?

(and to answer the question...don't try and substitute the powdered sugar)

BUMP UP THE JAMN!

Has anyone successfully made apfelwein using table sugar? I went to the LHS this past weekend and picked up ingredients to brew a smoked porter and for my first batch of apfelwein and of course I forgot the dextrose. I am hoping I can just run out and get some sort of substitution from my grocery store instead of driving all the way out to the LHS.

I'd say the same thing applies as earlier in this thread jared. Table sugar should work OK.

shenanigans.

BUMP UP THE JAMN!

Has anyone successfully made apfelwein using table sugar? I went to the LHS this past weekend and picked up ingredients to brew a smoked porter and for my first batch of apfelwein and of course I forgot the dextrose. I am hoping I can just run out and get some sort of substitution from my grocery store instead of driving all the way out to the LHS.
I have made homemade wine with 5 bread yeast packs and 10 lbs of table sugar in a glass ozarka bottle . Everyone always loved it . But you could taste the bread yeast just a little so I recently changed to Nottingham yeast . It does taste smoother but cost more to make.

I have made homemade wine with 5 bread yeast packs and 10 lbs of table sugar in a glass ozarka bottle . Everyone always loved it . But you could taste the bread yeast just a little so I recently changed to Nottingham yeast . It does taste smoother but cost more to make.

Use a wine yeast like K1V-1116, it's like about a dollar a pack.
Look on Amazon for it.

And you only need one pack.

Last edited:
13.5 years! Is that a record?😉🍻

13.5 years! Is that a record?😉🍻
Hard to tell, but surely a possible contender.
What's worse, it's totally :off:

So it really should be moved, alas we don't have a Hooch Forum to put it in. The next option is deletion... that sadly would also include the replies. :(

Just goes to show that no topic is ever, truly dead. I have saved some of mine from 5 years ago that I plan on resurrecting once my last kid leaves home. I'll need something to occupy the time...:rolleyes:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back