Irish Red Ale Quaffable Irish Red (All Grain) Scrapper's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love this one.

Brewed it 10/26 as my first all-grain batch. Used US-05. Was a little low on my water volumes and mash temp, but it is still delicious on tap right now.

Already picked up ingredients to brew this again over Christmas. I foresee a dedicated tap for this one.

Thanks OP!

Does not look like anybody has made this and posted about it in a while. I'm planning on making this my first all grain recipe but not for a few weeks when I free up space in my fermentation chiller.

I have the extract version in the fermenter since Saturday and it is happily bubbling away. I will be posting a pre-buy list of ingredients like I did with the extract version for y'all to review to make sure I'm not screwing up equivalent ingredients again and would appreciate all feed back before I buy it all!

I've been internet shopping for ingredients and have come up with the following. I am still very new to this, so I would appreciate a sanity check from one of you experts before I order anything. It's really just the grains I need a look at, but I included the hops and yeast just for completeness.

Each of the ingredients below is in this format:
As Written in the Recipe
Candidate Selection from the MoreBeer Web Site
Link to Candidate selection

Pale Malt(2-row) America
Great Western Domestic 2-Row Malt
http://morebeer.com/products/great-western-domestic-2row-malt.html?variant=GR300FM

Caramel Pils Malt Belgium (I can't find it on MoreBeer, so using 50/50 Carapils & Crystal 10L)
Briess Carapils Malt
http://morebeer.com/products/briess-carapils-malt.html?variant=GR450CM
Briess Crystal 10L Malt
http://morebeer.com/products/briess-crystal-10l-malt.html?variant=GR510CM

Special Roast Malt America
Briess Special Roast Malt
http://morebeer.com/products/briess-special-roast-malt.html?variant=GR425CM

Chocolate Malt Great Britain
Bairds Chocolate Malt
http://morebeer.com/products/bairds-chocolate-malt.html?variant=GR600CM

Goldings - E.K. Pellet
British Kent Goldings Pellet Hops
http://morebeer.com/products/british-kent-goldings-pellet-hops.html

Willamette Pellet
Willamette Pellet Hops
http://morebeer.com/products/willamette-pellet-hops.html

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II
Yeast(Liquid) - Wyeast (American II) - 1272
http://morebeer.com/products/yeast-liquid-wyeast-american-ii-1272.html

Much appreciated in advance! :mug:

I've been internet shopping for ingredients and have come up with the following. I am still very new to this, so I would appreciate a sanity check from one of you experts before I order anything. It's really just the grains I need a look at, but I included the hops and yeast just for completeness.

Much appreciated in advance! :mug:

Looks good, pull the trigger.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qztuEucrNBc[/ame]

I have everything ordered and hope to get it brewed in the near future!

One question. Since I will be batch sparging, and have no idea what kind of efficiency I will get, should I up the base grain any to make sure I am at or slightly above the target OG?

I have everything ordered and hope to get it brewed in the near future!

One question. Since I will be batch sparging, and have no idea what kind of efficiency I will get, should I up the base grain any to make sure I am at or slightly above the target OG?

Yes - I would shoot for 75% efficiency.

Mash per the instructions. Then do a starch converson test too to see if the starch converted to sugar. Buy some iodine at your local pharmacy. Its probably less than $2.00.

To do this test you spoon out some mash (tablespoon sized) solid and liquid. Put it on a white plate. Put one drop of iodine on your extracted sample. If it turns from brownish-red to a black color. Mash longer. The conversion is not complete. If it doesn't change color you can commense your sparge. Its that simple.

Discard the test sample into the trash.

If you find amylase enzyme at your homebrew shop you can add a teaspoon the to the mash after you mash in. Basically during the first round of stirring. Its not necessary. Its cheap insurance to get higher mash efficiency.

I'm going to bottle the extract version of this in a few days if I can get off work long enough. The hydrometer sample I took before I racked it to the secondary was great. Now I have everything I need except the time to do the all-grain version :mad:

Did you really mash this at 1.08 qt/lb? I noticed you mashed the Grillndeere at 1.25 qt/lb. Is there a reason why this one is mashed so thickly (if that is the proper term)? This will be my first all grain ever, so just want to make sure I'm getting it right before we brew it. Thanks,

OMG! Your soon to be 6 year old son is the one at the beginning of this thread!! lol I had no idea when I read the Grillnbeere recipe this morning that they were one and the same! Grats! :mug: And thanks for the help as I approach my first all grain attempt.

Started a batch of this yesterday. Our starting gravity was a little low (1.048), but it'll be fine. Can't wait to try it in a couple of weeks. :)

the OP opinions is highly sought after here
i need advice on a substitute for Special Roast Malt America
are any of these equivalent
CARAFA SPECIAL TYPE I
CARAFA SPECIAL TYPE II

Thanks

Finally about to brew this one this weekend as my first all grain! Been trying to for the last couple of months, but it looks like it may happen Sunday! Wish me luck :D

Brewed mine with some substitutions. Used US-05.

76.2% Pilsen malt(Brazilian)
5.6% Carapils
5.6% Carahell
5.6% Victory
1.0% Carafa 1
0.3% Roasted Barley

Had my propane hose get loose and almost set fire to the house midway through the boil, and a bit of fire extinguisher foam over the wort. Skimmed it off and boiled on my oven in separate small kettles. Had to top up with water because boiloff was too strong. Worst brew day ever.

No clue about IBUs, was aiming for the lower one, but OG was 1.047 and FG was 1.010. Turned out nicely despite all the mess, cleared with gelatin directly on the keg. It's pretty tasty.

irish reed.jpg

Good looking beer! It's going to be crappy weather here so will be brewing in my shop instead of out in the back patio. I will try not to burn my shop down!!

Good looking beer! It's going to be crappy weather here so will be brewing in my shop instead of out in the back patio. I will try not to burn my shop down!!

Haha yeah. Served me right for using a low pressure hose on a high pressure burner :cross:

Well we got it brewed Sunday and it went pretty well I think for my first attempt at all grain. I have tons of notes and measurements to sort out, and procedure changes to document, but it's in the fermentor happily bubbling away!

I don't mean to be daft, but this is my first all grain. I missed the OG by a few points, but I took a sample tonight to see how it was going since I am pretty sure it is as fermented as it will get, and I measured 1.006. Then I looked back at the recipe for the final gravity, and saw that the original was 1.047 and the final is listed at 10.12. Please help me understand what was meant by these numbers. Well, the 1.047 I understand. But what is the 10.12? Or was it supposed to be 1.012??

I don't mean to be daft, but this is my first all grain. I missed the OG by a few points, but I took a sample tonight to see how it was going since I am pretty sure it is as fermented as it will get, and I measured 1.006. Then I looked back at the recipe for the final gravity, and saw that the original was 1.047 and the final is listed at 10.12. Please help me understand what was meant by these numbers. Well, the 1.047 I understand. But what is the 10.12? Or was it supposed to be 1.012??

Yeah its a mistake should be 1.012

I messaged TxBrew to fix this. If you look again quickly, the decimal is in the wrong spot. 10.12 vs 1.012

Gearing up for my boy's birthday beer. Its not too far off, I need to make this.

I need to do it again! I just found that I have one left from the extract and all grain version I brewed. Not sure which it is though, since it's been so long, and may not be able to tell by the taste, since they were very close to each other in taste. Both were just great!

I'm looking to brew this for my next. I am wanting a spicy hoppy red. I am looking at the 38.2 IBU version. If I used Chinook instead of Goldings would I get that result? Should I use the same amount and same time?

I'm looking to brew this for my next. I am wanting a spicy hoppy red. I am looking at the 38.2 IBU version. If I used Chinook instead of Goldings would I get that result? Should I use the same amount and same time?

I've never used Chinook before, in this beer or any other and I've been brewing for ten years.

Try with Chinook at 60 minutes and finish with an English hop like Willamette under 15 minutes. Use a hop calculator to get the target IBU.

If you use this recipe below, check the water values I'm not sure if they are adjusted correctly for your process. I just adjusted the mash for 1.25 quarts/lb mashing and 1.75 quarts/lb sparging. You need to add more water for grain absorption. This calculator omits that correction. Its generally a 10:1 ratio. Its 10lbs about 1 gal lost in absorption.

WWW.MALT.IO

Irish Red Recipe

Digging this recipe up and have a question about the grist bill, specifically the Crisp Chocolate malt.

That specific malt actually has a ~630L measurement but normal chocolate malts are only half that dark. But the recipe link you posted above shows a normal chocolate malt in the 350L range.

@Schlenkerla What is intended for this recipe? I've tried substituting Crisp Chocolate for "normal" lighter chocolate in BeerSmith and the beer color indicator really takes on a red color when the Crisp chocolate and its ~630L is in the grist. So I'm inclined to think that the darker malt would be best but wanted your input Mr. OP. :)

FWIW, I cant find Crisp Chocolate here but it looks like I could probably sub Paul's Roasted Barley as its in that same color range.

Thoughts?

Back