Difference between first and secondary fermention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klowneyy

Reaction score
Hello I am very new to making ciders. I was hoping what does first and secondary fermentation work and what to do during secondary

First or primary is where your fermentation happens and secondary is mostly for bulk adding and clarification. Lots of people skip the transfer into a secondary vessel and leave it in the primary for the duration of both. Less chance of contamination. So say you were going to ferment out your cider and it takes 2-3 Weeks to ferment. Then usually cider tastes better with some aging so you were to going to leave it in secondary for 1-2 Weeks for aging and clarification. You can just leave it in your primary vessel for a month or longer then bottle or keg.

Theres primary 'vessels', secondary vessels, tertiary, ect.
M.L.F is referred to as the secondary 'fermentation' in regards to cider.

Totes said:
Theres primary 'vessels', secondary vessels, tertiary, ect.
M.L.F is referred to as the secondary 'fermentation' in regards to cider.

Ok I started the second fermentation yesterday. I racked it into a different carboy added some brown sugar and added a little more yeast and am going to let it sit for another week or two

Everybody is right:) The primary fermentation is with yeast, the secondary fermentation is with MLF. The primary fermentor is whatever bucket or carboy you use to combine your must and yeast in, the secondary fermentor is what you Transfer your fermented must into. If you then innoculate or have naturally occuring MLF bacteria you then get a secondary fermentation in your secondary, or even in your primary if you wait to transfer later. You then rack your wine off the yeast into another secondary vessel. Maybe cider people use tertiary but its not used commonly. What is used commonly is saying the cider is innoculated with yeast and racked into a carboy for secondary fermentation even though its really just a continuation of the primary fermentation in a secondary carboy. It can be confusing, you can be as compulsive as you want naming things or wing it, everyone knows what you mean either way so dont get to hung up on particular definitions or you will have a hard time figuring out if people are actually doing secondary fermentations with MLF or they just let the primary fermentation finish in a carboy:) WVMJ

WVMJ said:
Everybody is right:) The primary fermentation is with yeast, the secondary fermentation is with MLF. The primary fermentor is whatever bucket or carboy you use to combine your must and yeast in, the secondary fermentor is what you Transfer your fermented must into. If you then innoculate or have naturally occuring MLF bacteria you then get a secondary fermentation in your secondary, or even in your primary if you wait to transfer later. You then rack your wine off the yeast into another secondary vessel. Maybe cider people use tertiary but its not used commonly. What is used commonly is saying the cider is innoculated with yeast and racked into a carboy for secondary fermentation even though its really just a continuation of the primary fermentation in a secondary carboy. It can be confusing, you can be as compulsive as you want naming things or wing it, everyone knows what you mean either way so dont get to hung up on particular definitions or you will have a hard time figuring out if people are actually doing secondary fermentations with MLF or they just let the primary fermentation finish in a carboy:) WVMJ

Thanks I am doing a cider

Unless the cider folks have invented their own dictionary its the same terms apply. WVMJ

Latest posts

Back