Brewing my first Hefe Saturday...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oceans11_gt

Reaction score
Hey all, As the title states, I am brewing my first Hefeweizen this weekend and I'm looking to see if there is anything I should watch out for, or things that I should do differently to help make a better beer. I havent picked up my yeast yet so those suggestions would be appreciated as well.

The thing of it is that I'm not a fan of Hefe's at all, but my best friend's wife had asked if I could make one for her. They are obviously paying for ingredients and my buddy is interested in learning how to brew. So, long story short, I'm bringing up my equipment and brewing at his house Saturday morning to both teach him, and make a beer I'm not too crazy about. Any help would be appreciated, although from what I've already researched they seem to be one of the more easy styles to brew. Thanks all!! :mug:

The wheat can gum up the mash and cause a stuck sparge. I recommend adding some rice hulls as insurance.

Hefe is all about the yeast and fermentation characteristics. The malt is bland the hops are nearly non existent. It's all yeast flavor. So use a real German hefe yeast. My favorite is wlp300. Fermentaion temps will be really important. I find low 60's = Sulfur, some clove and no banana Low 70's = lots of banana, some clove and bubblegum.

BTW expect an explosive ferment. Best to use a blowoff tube.

My next batch will also be my 1st hefeweizen.
What's the recommended amount of rice hulls?
Planning on using around 7 lbs of wheat and 4 lbs of pilsner for my grain schedule.

Rice hulls can help.....though they are not always necessary. I don't use them at all. Just lauter carefully.

I recommend wy3068 - it's the weihenstephaner hefe yeast. Low 60s will give more clove, mid-low 70s will give more banana and bubblegum. So high 60s - 67-68 or so - should give a nice balance.

My next batch will also be my 1st hefeweizen.
What's the recommended amount of rice hulls?
Planning on using around 7 lbs of wheat and 4 lbs of pilsner for my grain schedule.

I'd go with .5 - 1 lb. It's cheap insurance

Agreed on at least .5lb rice hulls- you won't regret it.

My only pointer is in regards to yeast- and this is just what I've experienced. I'm sure other folks will disagree. I really, really dislike wyeast 1010. the 3068 strain is how I would roll, and i believe it is similair to wlp300 but someone more familiar ill have to check up on that.

3638 has done fine work for me as well.

Thanks guys. I picked up everything tonight for the brew. Ended up getting wlp300 and 1lb of rice hulls. Starter is done and ready to start doin its thing. So just waiting on Saturday. Ill probably save half the hulls for my rye-pa next so hopefully I don't get a stuck a stuck mash. Any more suggestions woukd be great.

Back