Citra Otter SMaSH IPA (simplicity at its finest)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsmith82

Reaction score
Citra Otter SMaSH IPA
All Grain
5gal batch
5.5% ABV
85 IBU

Mash:
12.5qt water brought to 163 deg F.
10# Maris Otter
60 min (goal temp 151 deg F)

Sparge:
3.8gal water @ 168 deg F

Boil:
60 min - 1oz Citra
15 min - 1oz Citra
10 min - 1oz Citra
05 min - 1oz Citra

Yeast:
WYeast 1056 American Ale

Dry hop 2oz Citra 10-14 days before kegging / bottling

I brewed this in late November, kegged it last week - hit it with 30psi for 2 days, dropped it to 10 and let it sit for a few more. Nice blonde color, dry, light body, light on the alcohol, very very floral from the Citra; itsmells fantastic. I pulled my first pint off the keg last night - this is a delicious beer.

Nothing complicated or crazy, just a simple brew that turned out well enough I thought it was worth sharing.

Cheers

Cheers, pal. I've had other iterations of MO/Citra SMaSH beers, it certainly is tasty.

Sounds good to me too, MO SMaSH IPAs are awesome. But if you brewed it in late November and you just tapped it now (3 months later), you're missing out! I know you dry hopped it at the end, but I bet it still would have been better fresh. I would have had half the batch in my belly before the new year. :p

With my MO/Columbus IPA I found one straggler in the back of my closet maybe 4-5 months after I brewed, it wasn't nearly as good as the rest of the batch. The hop flavor no longer popped out and it just seemed a lot more dull.

I do wish I could have gotten this in the keg a little bit faster. The dry came through like a champ though and one good thing about Citra, you can rely on it for aroma - by far one of the most pleasantly strong aroma hops I've had the pleasure to brew with.

Shame it tends to be in short supply.

2013-03-02184708_zps580b16b9.jpg

Back