Air in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellysrepairs

Reaction score
So I racked into my secondary tonight after 2 weeks in primary. racking cane had a crack in it and got air into the beer, mouth siphoned it much as I could but it looks like it did a week ago (cloudy) got it cold crashing right now on my patio but have no idea what will happen to it????

Cloudy doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong, but getting air in finished beer is bad. You introduced bacteria both from the crack in the cane and your "mouth siphoning" whatever that is, and you also increased the potential for oxidation by getting air in it after fermentation.

I put a hose in it took a big pull and put it in the secondary, pulled it all out . just concerned about the air ? everything I used was sanitized , except mouth ..........what should I do now??

There is nothing much you can do but try one after a couple of weeks, three is most likely when it will be right. If there is oxidation it will get worse over time so if you sense there is a problem drink them soon and quickly. Maybe share them if they are not too bad and get another batch going.

OK so I guess the only question I have is if I drink this beer will it hurt me?? this is my first brew so I know its not gonna win any awards. But there is no way its getting dumped down the drain, I dont care if it tastes like PBR. So can I drink it???

Cloudy doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong, but getting air in finished beer is bad. You introduced bacteria both from the crack in the cane and your "mouth siphoning" whatever that is, and you also increased the potential for oxidation by getting air in it after fermentation.

Hogwash.

It would take a lot of splashing and pumping and more splashing to oxydize it very badly and if it has already fermented from 1.056 to 1.006 the odds of infecting it with bacteria are slim to -1. Please don't spread unnecessary panic. :mad:

Air will primarily make the beer skunk faster...if its bad enough. But as stated you would have to screw up pretty badly like just dumping it from your fermenter into the secondary to aerate enough to "ruin" a beer.

Just means you need to drink it faster :)

Thanks for all your help guys, ill let my wife know that I have to drink it up fast haha:D :rockin::mug:

PhelanKA7 said:
Hogwash.

It would take a lot of splashing and pumping and more splashing to oxydize it very badly and if it has already fermented from 1.056 to 1.006 the odds of infecting it with bacteria are slim to -1. Please don't spread unnecessary panic. :mad:

I'm sorry I'm not trying to be a argumentative D:(! But that's completely incorrect. Sacchromyces eats fermentable sugars while most bacteria etc can break down long chain carbohydrates such as dextrins. You are partially correct as some bacteria has alcohol tolerance and will not survive over 6-7% abv but a lot still will the first to jump into mind would be acetobacter which will also ferment the alcohol which makes vinegar. It could also introduce brettnomyces among others. As to oxidation yes it takes more than a few bubbles but oxidation is a cumulative condition starting out as kinda and developing into the traditional cardboard or sherry flavors over time.

OK so I guess the only question I have is if I drink this beer will it hurt me?? this is my first brew so I know its not gonna win any awards. But there is no way its getting dumped down the drain, I dont care if it tastes like PBR. So can I drink it???

The other dudes answered your questions, but its worth noting that nothing pathogenic that can harm humans can survive in your fermented beer.

Aschecte said:
I'm sorry I'm not trying to be a argumentative D:(! But that's completely incorrect. Sacchromyces eats fermentable sugars while most bacteria etc can break down long chain carbohydrates such as dextrins. You are partially correct as some bacteria has alcohol tolerance and will not survive over 6-7% abv but a lot still will the first to jump into mind would be acetobacter which will also ferment the alcohol which makes vinegar. It could also introduce brettnomyces among others. As to oxidation yes it takes more than a few bubbles but oxidation is a cumulative condition starting out as kinda and developing into the traditional cardboard or sherry flavors over time.

BTW with all this said I'm not trying to imply that you have any problems only that the potential is there. I would be mostly concerned with the mouth siphon more than anything else. Most people don't realize that if all the animal world the human mouth is one of the dirtiest and bacteria laden of all.

Ok I bottled 5 days ago, looked, smelled and tasted awesome . gonna give it another week before I crack one open. let all know how it comes out and try to post a pic. thanks for all your help. I'm excited to have the pipeline started :rockin:

Back