Outlet Connect Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hustlebird

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So this is pretty straight forward, but a little bit of a precurser: I'm looking to install a 2000watt heating element into my boil kettle. I checked the circuit in my kitchen, its 20amps, the GFCI outlet is a 20amp outlet, the wiring is all 12/3 wiring, and the only thing on this circuit is my garbage disposal (which won't be on when I'm brewing).

Everything looks good, but as I started looking for a cable to use for running this connection, I noticed there is a difference between L5/15 connectors and L5/20 connectors. I'm under the impression that L5/15 connectors are for 15 amp loads, and that L5/20 are for 20 amp loads.

My problem is all my outlets only accept L5/15 connectors. Can an L5/15 connector support a 20amp load? I dont want to overload the connector, but I have found an L5/15 12/3 extension cord I was planning to use for it. Am I going to have issues with that connector? Or is the difference just to prevent people from plugging it into a 15amp circuit? Thanks in advance!

You are correct, an L5-15 is rated for 15 amp 125v service. You might consider tying in a box with the L5-20 connector. Personally, I have been shocked and electricity owns my complete respect so I don't ever consider going beyond somethings ratings.

How big a kettle are you talking about? 2000w isn't a lot of energy.

Dang, I figured as much. Guess ill just replace my gfci with a gfci outlet that can accept l5-15 and l5-20. I just thought that the connectors may be able to handle more, because the l5-20 just seems like a sideways version of the l5-15.

Either way, for an extra 20 bucks for the gfci outlet isn't a big deal.

I have a ten gallon kettle, brew five gallon batches, and this is to supplement the range I cook on, sick of dealing with a bucket heater (1350 watts) and its a little weaker then I'd like still.

Back