S/S Pot worth the money?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSager89

Reaction score
I am brand new to all-grain brewing (still moderately new to brewing in general) and I bought a 6 Gal Graniteware pot to use as a brew kettle. Since moving to a new place I've noticed that the stove that I have isn't as powerful as I'd like. It can boil a 5-6 Gal capacity of water, but just barely.

Would upgrading to a SS brew pot help with the boiling? I've heard from some that the steel is a better insulator and so would help retain the heat and make boiling easier. I plan to upgrade at some point, but I can't pony up the 100+ dollars right at this second without REALLY hurting.

Thanks guys!

In short, no..........

While some of the better quality SS pots have a heat conducting plate on the bottom, if the stove can't bring the volume to boil in a thinner walled Aluminum pot it won't do it in a SS pot either.

Not to mention, you really want to be able to get a vigorous boil going, rolling, not just barely.

To directly answer the value wquestion, IMO SS pots are well worth the money in the long run but investing in one will not solve your problem:)

upgrading to a SS is a great idea if you want to do it, but not to improve your boil.

they are simply better pots.

they are also incredibly expensive when compared with other equipment.

I agree that SS won't solve your problem. But upgrading the burners will,unless you have a smooth top stove. I have a link in my profile for the elec heating elements I bought on amazon that heat faster. I can boil 3G in my 5G SSBK in about 18 minutes now.
The SS stock pots are easier to keep clean than the aluminum ones that need that oxide layer in it to keep the metal taste out of the acidic wort. I got mine from Giant Eagle on sale Jan/Feb of last year. They were 4 nested,polished SS stock pots with lids & steamer trays on sale for some $25. A lil PBW & a dobie & they're clean & shiny again.

I have been looking for a 20-30 quart SS pot. Anyone have any suggestions on thickness? Also anyone know of a place online that is running a good deal right now?

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sounds like the situation is about what I though....better pot but not for this reason. As far as upgrading the burners, my parents have 3 propane turkey burners (Don't ask why 3...I have no idea) so I should be able to get one soon, but the 2 hr drive for just the burner is a bit on the time expensive side.

Anyway, again thanks a ton for the replies and opinions. Definately helps

for all grain you want a 10 gallon (40 qt) stock pot. I have no regrets with the Winware AL stock pot, <$50 shipped on amazon. AL is a lot easier to modify for a ball valve, etc. Lid is not included.

The Bayou Classic 44 qt SS with basket is about $80 shipped which is also a great deal. These were over $100 when I was looking for a kettle.

Both are only helpful if you have a better heat source like a propane burner. You will also need a method to cool 5+ gallons of boiling wort once you switch to full boils.

I have the 9 gallon brew pot from the site I posted above. It has the two welds, one for a thermometer and one for a valve. It's not fancy or polished, but a solid SS pot with a couple welds for well under $100

As mentioned above, you really do want a bigger pot... I'd say at least an 8 gallon pot if you're brewing 5 gallon all grain batches. I regularly fill my 9 gallon pot an inch below the rim and that will boil down to 5.5 gallons in about 90 minutes.

Back