Wyeast Saison overflowing the airlock on the 1st day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainGoatBrewing

Reaction score
Hey guys...just brewed up a funky, hopped up Saison last night. Pitched the yeast at 75º, and left the primary overnight at 78º, which is about as cool as it can get in the basement. That was about 11pm.

My cousin/brewing partner hit me up at 12pm today with a video showing VERY active fermentation...so much to the point where now it's overflowing the airlock.

Help!!! I have no idea what to do at this point...should we just pop it off and clean it out or will that mess with the fermentation process?

Yes. Just pop it off, clean/sanitize it and probably attach a blow off tube (or if you don't have one, just keep cleaning and sanitizing the airlock over and over again).

Yeah, I'm stoked to see how this is going to turn out...my first recipe that isn't a clone. Brewed with ginger, honey & lemongrass...thought I was coming up with something unique, but after looking around I see that plenty of others have already tried some variation. Still, pretty fun to experiment! I just have to relax with the OCD... :)

Back