Question From 1st Time Kegger...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoolAidKid

Reaction score
So they say the only stupid question is the one not asked. Well here's one anyways.

I'm on my 5th batch of homebrew now, and have decided to get a kegging system for the one that's in my fermentor now.
Even though I already think the answer is no, will I still need a priming sugar before kegging?
Logic tells me that the CO2 tank eliminates the need for priming, but as a first-timer, I'm just trying to make sure I don't leave anything out of the process.
Better safe than sorry, so I figured I'd at least ask. Thanks

KoolAidKid said:
So they say the only stupid question is the one not asked. Well here's one anyways.

I'm on my 5th batch of homebrew now, and have decided to get a kegging system for the one that's in my fermentor now.
Even though I already think the answer is no, will I still need a priming sugar before kegging?
Logic tells me that the CO2 tank eliminates the need for priming, but as a first-timer, I'm just trying to make sure I don't leave anything out of the process.
Better safe than sorry, so I figured I'd at least ask. Thanks

No priming sugar needed if you'll be using co2 to carbonate.

You can use either. When I first got my keg setup, I only forced carb. But as of late I started using priming sugar. By using the priming sugar I eliminated the need for the line to be hooked up for a few weeks force carbing.

When I first started kegging I was drinking some pretty 'green' beer, put the pressure at 30 PSI for 3 days and would be ready to drink it. I've learned patience pays off... set it to 25 PSI for a day or two, lowering it 10 for another 3 or 4 days and drink!

About what everyone else said, but wanted to make an additional point. You can use either the co2 or priming sugar to carb your keg. There are plenty of different methods to using the co2 tank (set-and-forget, burst, shaking, etc.), and if you're interested I'm sure I could dig up some of the threads.

You can continue to use priming sugar instead. Really all a keg is is a big bottle, however there are some conditions. First, a keg will use less priming sugar than a batch of bottles. I think it has to do with the surface area at the top of the beer and the amount of total head space, but double check on the amount you need before starting. Second, while the priming sugar can efficiently carbonate your beer, you may still want to use the co2 tank to purge the airspace (add co2, pull relief valve, repeat 3-4 times) and to seal up the keg before allowing the priming sugar to work. You'll get carbed beer at room temp rather than fridge temp (which is really where the co2 tank-carbed keg needs to wait).

Back