I may never wash yeast again!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been freezing my liquid yeast.

This is even easier than washing yeast. Though it takes longer to get ready for brew day.

I start by making a starter larger than needed for my recipe.

Before pitching I make 4 vials to freeze. This is generation 1. I have 40ml vials and I add 10ml yeast, 10ml glycerin and 20ml water. Shake them and put in the refrigerator. When cool I put them in the freezer in a tub with some freeze packs. This is to counteract the defrost cycle of the freezer to keep the yeast frozen.

If I go the recommended 4 generations and make 4 new vials from each frozen vial I could do 256 brews. I obviously don't do that.

When planning a brew I start about a week early to propagate my yeast from a frozen vial. I make a small weak starter of about .25L. I run the stirplate about 18 hours. I then decant and feed another .5L starter. This gives me approximately the same amount of yeast as a vial or pack. I then use this to make a starter the size needed for my recipe.

I have frozen yeast from November 2011 and have recently used those successfully.
I also now have 6 varieties and 21 vials to use.:D

Hey, whatever works. I tried to do the vial thing with gelatin and culturing, but it was a pain in the rear end. It just seems easier to have a couple of large jars of sterile water on hand if/when you want to wash the yeast. I had this vision of never buying yeast again, but truth is, eventually you will need to buy some more, either different types for new recipes or just to refill an often used type. Plus if you are like me, you run into certain situations, like near the end of viability of saved yeast, where you are starting to question whether or not it's propagating right, or too many generations, etc. So I just find being more casual about it, buying new or using washed, fits my style.

where does one buy glycerin? is it expensive?

Just about any drugstore. And, no....It's pretty cheap.

5042814212.jpg

CVS/pharmacy
SKU #483707
6.0 OZ
0.42 LBS
$5.49

Hey, whatever works. I tried to do the vial thing with gelatin and culturing, but it was a pain in the rear end. It just seems easier to have a couple of large jars of sterile water on hand if/when you want to wash the yeast. I had this vision of never buying yeast again, but truth is, eventually you will need to buy some more, either different types for new recipes or just to refill an often used type. Plus if you are like me, you run into certain situations, like near the end of viability of saved yeast, where you are starting to question whether or not it's propagating right, or too many generations, etc. So I just find being more casual about it, buying new or using washed, fits my style.

Yes, I will still have to buy new strains, and replace commonly used ones occasionally. But If I only use the 4 vials once that will save me abut $28 dollars over buying fresh.

When stepping up I can easily see if the yeast are propagating.

When I wash my yeast I cannot really tell how much of the slurry is yeast and how much is trub. So far mine have not stratified well into distinct layers.

I will on occasion pitch on a yeast cake. And may wash if needed but I love having varieties on hand and feel safer keeping the frozen yeast for a long time than keeping refrigerated, washed yeast.

...And may wash if needed but I love having varieties on hand and feel safer keeping the frozen yeast for a long time than keeping refrigerated, washed yeast.

Good point, plus it sounds like you enjoy doing it, and that's what counts.

Just about any drugstore. And, no....It's pretty cheap.

5042814212.jpg

CVS/pharmacy
SKU #483707
6.0 OZ
0.42 LBS
$5.49

Florida must be the exception, I tried the following places; CVS, Walgreens, Wal-Mart pharmacy, Target Pharmacy, private pharmacy, and even feed stores.
NOTHING, NADA, ZIP, ZILCH,

I'm being told that it's becoming harder to buy, because Homeland Security has deemed it a "watched" item. Not sure about the validity of this statement.

actually made me give up on the idea of freezing yeast.

This thread is activating interest again though. (see what I did there?)

I also have done the glycerin thing. At times when making a starter from a fresh vial I will reserve a bit and put it directly into the glycerin/water solution so I know I have the freshest, cleanest, and uncontaminated yeast. I've revived frozen yeast after a year in the freezer and it started right up. Here's where I purchase my Glycerin.

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkmisc/bulkmisc.php#bu_gly

16oz for 8.75+ shipping. They also carry bitter orange peel, irish moss, and many other brewing spices and goodies if anyone cares.

glycerine.jpg

I also have done the glycerin thing. At times when making a starter from a fresh vial I will reserve a bit and put it directly into the glycerin/water solution so I know I have the freshest, cleanest, and uncontaminated yeast. I've revived frozen yeast after a year in the freezer and it started right up. Here's where I purchase my Glycerin.

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkmisc/bulkmisc.php#bu_gly

16oz for 8.75+ shipping. They also carry bitter orange peel, irish moss, and many other brewing spices and goodies if anyone cares.

MOST excellent! Thanks for posting the link

Yea -- washing was too much hassle and no real reward. Raw trub works for less than 6 months, I'll use glycerin for long-term freezer storage.....

Florida must be the exception, I tried the following places; CVS, Walgreens, Wal-Mart pharmacy, Target Pharmacy, private pharmacy, and even feed stores.
NOTHING, NADA, ZIP, ZILCH,

I'm being told that it's becoming harder to buy, because Homeland Security has deemed it a "watched" item. Not sure about the validity of this statement.

actually made me give up on the idea of freezing yeast.

This thread is activating interest again though. (see what I did there?)

Walmart does have glycerine. Not at the pharmacy, but in one of the nearby aisles where the hand lotions are. Apparently glycerine is good for the nails or something. I got it at the Super-Walmart on Tampa Road, might be Oldsmar there.

Also, our LHBS in Tampa, Southern Brewing, has it on the shelf.

Walmart does have glycerine. Not at the pharmacy, but in one of the nearby aisles where the hand lotions are. Apparently glycerine is good for the nails or something. I got it at the Super-Walmart on Tampa Road, might be Oldsmar there.

Also, our LHBS in Tampa, Southern Brewing, has it on the shelf.

Holy Cow! More great info, thanks! I will pick some up at SB, on Friday when I'm getting 100lbs base malt.

Thanks again!

On a side note, we should get together some time and brew, our club up is is growing and we could always use the voice of other experienced brewers, even if just on our FB page. ( Beer Pressure)

I have a question more or less related to the first post...
can I split a 125 ml liquid yeast vial into 5 vials (25 ml each one)? 4 vials in order to freeze and the last one to make a starter and pitch into wort?
I mean, instead of making a starter first and then left something to freeze and conserve, why not doing the other way round, splitting first and building a bigger starter next?
thank you!

I just started this but tried my first two vials with washed yeast from the primary. We'll see how it goes but I might start doing it from the starter to get cleaner and more viable yeast cells.

I do have one question. I used 50% yeast, 25% water and 25% glycerin and put them straight in the freezer which I now know that some people argue you should put them in the fridge first for two days or so.

Anyways, the yeast seemed to separate from the water and glycerin solution and freeze at the bottom of the tube, is this normal? I'm assuming that they are still coated in glycerin so they should be alright but I was just wondering.

I have a question more or less related to the first post...
can I split a 125 ml liquid yeast vial into 5 vials (25 ml each one)? 4 vials in order to freeze and the last one to make a starter and pitch into wort?
I mean, instead of making a starter first and then left something to freeze and conserve, why not doing the other way round, splitting first and building a bigger starter next?
thank you!

You could do it that way but to start with so little yeast in your starter it would be advisable to do the step starter routine. I prefer to make it easier by just doing the big starter first.

I just started this but tried my first two vials with washed yeast from the primary. We'll see how it goes but I might start doing it from the starter to get cleaner and more viable yeast cells.

I do have one question. I used 50% yeast, 25% water and 25% glycerin and put them straight in the freezer which I now know that some people argue you should put them in the fridge first for two days or so.

Anyways, the yeast seemed to separate from the water and glycerin solution and freeze at the bottom of the tube, is this normal? I'm assuming that they are still coated in glycerin so they should be alright but I was just wondering.

I did my first from a starter made from harvested yeast. It worked fine. I also have gotten and read that the separation is common. It appears that the glycerin does it's job before the stratification takes place. At least, the 2 that I have used that were that way worked perfectly.

Not sure about the proportions. I have seen differing amounts. I decided on 25 yeast, 25 glycerin, and 50 water after looking at many suggestions and decided it was within accepted parameters. I also chose these because it is easy to measure.

Back