Gf snpa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riddei

Reaction score
% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
47% 4 0 Rice Extract Syrup 32 0 ~
35% 3 0 Briess White Sorghum Syrup 45HM 34 3 ~
12% 1 0 Honey 35 1 ~
6% 0 8 Candi Sugar, Amber 35 75 ~
8 8

boil 60 mins 1.0 Perle pellet 8.0
boil 30 mins 0.5 Cascade pellet 5.5
boil 20 mins 0.5 Cascade pellet 5.5
boil 1 min 0.5 Cascade pellet 5.5
dry hop 7 days 0.5 Cascade pellet 5.5

boil 1 min 2 ounces Maltodextrin
boil 1 min 1 tsp Yeast Nutrient

Safale -05

Thoughts? Sorry for the layout quick copy and paste.

I'm in love with sierra Nevada pale ale and I want to try and clone it gf style. I'll update as soon as I collect ingredients.

I'm in love with sierra Nevada pale ale and I want to try and clone it gf style. I'll update as soon as I collect ingredients.

If that's what you're going for, I would probably try to stick with a clone recipe's hopping schedule. I do this for beers I'm trying to replicate as gluten free, that way the only variable is the base malt.

Don't know how close this is, but it's the first hit in google.

http://home.comcast.net/~wnevits/wizards/snclone.htm

Edit:

Scratch that. This recipe from BYO magazine would be better.
http://***********/stories/recipein...an-pale-ale/1400-sierra-nevada-pale-ale-clone

I have plenty of time to change and switch it around. Thanks for the link. I was flipping through my Midwest catalog for yeast strains and hop descriptions. I think I decided on that schedule at the time based on their recipe. I have a feeling I'll go with the byo recipe
I am trying to keep the sorghum taste to a minimum, and I think the hops will cover the taste. I think I'll replace the honey with corn sugar since I still have five or six pounds lying around.
Mu biggest concern was the maltodextrin. I'm sure there is a formula somewhere on here, I just have searched extensively for it yet. I also trying to fully understand it's function. It adds body without affecting flavor and fermentables, correct? I've also seen it added at different times from 30mins all the way to bottling.

From what I've read on here. Maltodextrin add's body and you can add it it any time. From the boil, right up to prior to bottling. I've seen gluten brewers saying no more than 2oz's but I've seen gluten free recipes like LCasanova's stout with 8oz's.

I'd probably er on the side of caution and add less than 4oz in the boil. Then prior to bottling if you need to up the gravity, you can add more.

Strong hopping should definitely cover up any "off tastes" produced by the Sorghum malt.

If anyone is familiar with the way all grain brewing works, you essentially have a band of mash temperatures from 148-160 to work with. This will adjust your FG (high at the high end, low at the low).

Since in extract brewing you don't control the mash temp (it's 154 for most of your extracts) you have to control it with other items. Maltodextrin makes your FG higher, simple sugars make it lower.

You have a bit of both in yours, so it should come out at about 75% attenuation, which is about what 154 gets you and should be good for an SNPA.

The time you add something in the process is only important for taste characteristics. The later you add something, the more powerful it will taste (note that this is not true of hops). Since maltodextrin doesn't taste like anything, it doesn't matter when you add it.

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
47% 4 0 Rice Extract Syrup 32 0 ~
35% 3 0 Briess White Sorghum Syrup 45HM 34 3 ~
12% 1 0 Honey 35 1 ~
6% 0 8 Candi Sugar, Amber 35 75 ~
8 8

boil 60 mins 1.0 Perle pellet 8.0
boil 30 mins 0.5 Cascade pellet 5.5
boil 20 mins 0.5 Cascade pellet 5.5
boil 1 min 0.5 Cascade pellet 5.5
dry hop 7 days 0.5 Cascade pellet 5.5

boil 1 min 2 ounces Maltodextrin
boil 1 min 1 tsp Yeast Nutrient

Safale -05

Thoughts? Sorry for the layout quick copy and paste.

Riddei, how did this turn out? What would you change for the next brew?

Slowfro said:
Riddei, how did this turn out? What would you change for the next brew?

I didn't get to make this one yet. I talked with the wife, and she didn't want anything that bitter, so I started her off on something that was 19ibu. It was a simple recipe
6#sorghum
1.5#honey
1oz cascade @ 60
Nottingham yeast
Fermented 3weeks @68.
Has the typical sorghum taste, but it's faint and she loves it. She asked me to make it again and we still have a case an a half left lol. I'm going to up the hops by am ounce I think this time

I didn't get to make this one yet. I talked with the wife, and she didn't want anything that bitter, so I started her off on something that was 19ibu. It was a simple recipe
6#sorghum
1.5#honey
1oz cascade @ 60
Nottingham yeast
Fermented 3weeks @68.
Has the typical sorghum taste, but it's faint and she loves it. She asked me to make it again and we still have a case an a half left lol. I'm going to up the hops by am ounce I think this time

That's a pretty similar base to what I was thinking of trying out for the first GF brew. I was thinking possibly going with 2# of honey, just need to run the numbers to keep it from getting too high of an OG (primary drinker prefers light session type beers). I was going to definitely throw in some maltodextrin, and probably use a variety of centennial, chinook and cascades to roughly 50ibu as a starting point. I've seen some recipes that use rice syrups and belgian candi sugars to replace the sorghum, but I think I need to fully understand what the flavors and fermentations are like before I try alternative methods.

If your wife doesn't want the beer too bitter use that 2nd ounce of hops as a late addition (5-10 minutes) and maybe dry hop it too. That'll help you get much better aroma on it, which I would think could help trick your brain into forgetting about the typical sorghum taste. Granted I've never tried a GF beer yet to know what that is, but I hear it's not the best taste in a beer.

The late addition was the plan, or possibly even 1.5 for 60 and .5 the last min. We had a sixer in the truck(78*) for about nine hours and then stuck it in the fridge one we reached MD from SC. The citrusy sorghum twang faded immensely. Without telling anyone else what it was and who made it, I passed around samples at the wake. I got a lot of wows and smiles. One guy said it tasted girly, but he was also holding a mich ultra. Once I get SWMBO more in tune with hoppier beers, I'll start making the hop schedule more complex. She really wants simple right now.
What about adding a hop tea to the bottling bucket along with your priming solution. You're already boiling a sugar solution. I may try that on my next gf batch. Or drop a hop pellet in the bottle lol.

I'll have to check hopville out.

I'm not sure that adding a hop tea at bottling would do much for you that simply dry hopping wouldn't. And I definitely wouldn't add a hop pellet to the bottle - you'd be asking for liquid grass. If you really wanted to get complex with the hop aromas you could do your standard dry hop (7-10 days) then rack to a new carboy and dry hop again with a different variety. My GF ingredients are "Out for Delivery" according to UPS right now, so once I get the wort made up I'll figure out my hop schedule for brew day and the original plan for dry hopping. Dry hops might change depending on what it tastes/smells like after primary is complete.

OK, Here's the plan for brew day - hopefully this week...

5 Gallon batch, Full Boil
(Insert Creative Name Here)

Fermentables:
6# Briess White Sorghum Syrup
2# Honey

Hops:
1oz Chinook (11.7%AA) 60 minutes
1oz Centennial (8.7%AA) 25 minutes
1oz Cascade (5%AA) 10 minutes
1/2oz Centennial (8.7%AA) Dry Hop 7 days
1/2oz Cascade (5%AA) Dry Hop 7 days

Yeast:
Safale S-05

Miscellaneous:
8oz Maltodextrin added to boil last 15 minutes

Estimated Profile:
OG 1.054
FG 1.015
Color 4°SRM
63 IBU (1.16 BU/GU...very hoppy)
5.1%ABV

Any advice on using honey for priming at bottling? Is there a better GF sugar option for priming sugar that works well?

It doesnt really matter what you prime with, only the quantity changes. I'd use dextrose/corn sugar as it is the most used and therefore is well measured.

If you are set on using honey for some reason, just figure out how much fermentable sugar is in your honey, compare that to table sugar, and multiply the quantity by the % difference.

It doesnt really matter what you prime with, only the quantity changes. I'd use dextrose/corn sugar as it is the most used and therefore is well measured.

If you are set on using honey for some reason, just figure out how much fermentable sugar is in your honey, compare that to table sugar, and multiply the quantity by the % difference.

I guess I wasn't really thinking about just using corn sugar. I typically use DME for priming my beers, and wasn't sure what was best to use for gluten free beers. I'll go the easy route...

Brewed this last night, fermenter is a little warm this morning so I put it down in the basement to get it to mid 60's (its about 70 right now). Based on the aroma I might actually dry hop this twice to help drown the sorghum aroma. I'll have to taste it after the first round to know for sure what I'll do.

What I do know, is I'll do anything in my power to make it not taste like Bards. I had one last night while brewing to see what I should expect, and I was blown away with that beer (and not in a good way). I give huge props to anyone who stomachs that stuff on a regular basis...you're a better man than I.

Quick update - racked to secondary last night to dry hop with 1/2oz Cascade and 1/2oz Centennial and I am keeping my fingers crossed for a winner here. The aroma after a few weeks in primary wasn't "sorghum-y" at all, just some minor citrusy and hoppy presence. That will become mostly hoppy with the dry hop additions I made last night before bottling next week. The flavor wasn't too bad either, I just took a little sip of the hydrometer sample and was mildly impressed. Here's hoping it stays the course and turns out well. I'll update again after bottling and sampling.

Any update on this? I have a few family members who are GF and am looking for recipes to brew them a batch of beer

Any update on this? I have a few family members who are GF and am looking for recipes to brew them a batch of beer

I haven't cracked into it yet. I bottled this 9/29 and was giving it the usual 3 weeks to carb & condition. I was going to hold off on trying it until the people I brewed it for could taste it, but in the interest of getting your batch going I'll chill one when I get home tonight and let you know how it goes.

When I bottled it the mouthfeel was lighter than your standard beer, but it didn't make me cringe from sorghum. There was a very good hop presence (which suits my tastes fine) which is what I was going for. I'll shoot an update either today or tomorrow.

Any update, Slofro? Like you I am not a fan of the Bard's Sorghum twang and am curious if your hopping was able to mask it.

Any update, Slofro? Like you I am not a fan of the Bard's Sorghum twang and am curious if your hopping was able to mask it.

Well look at that, forgot to give an update. Sorry folks. Anyway, chilled a brew Friday, tried it side by side with Bards again (SWMBO wanted to see if she could pick which one was better). Much to my relief she picked mine. I promptly took a sip of each, poured the Bard's down the drain, and finished the homebrew.

Yesterday my friend who I made the GF batch for got to try it and she was more than happy with it. My brother in law also approved (he doesn't need the GF, just wanted to try it to compare to other homebrew).

All in all I'd say success. I might consider upping the maltodextrin next time, but who knows. Odds are I'll forget to buy more, realize I have 8oz at home yet and leave it at that.

Back